Squidding during the night

GoingFishing

G'day raiders

Just looking for some advice, are there any specific squid jigs that work better during the night or is there no real difference ?

Also looking for some good locations in botany iv read that Yarra bay and towra produce well but is there any specific areas in Yarra/towra that I should be working ?

Any advice would be appreciated

Hi There,

I used to catch squid quite alot in the hacking & in the harbour landbased.

You must dedicate alot of time and be prepared to lose alot of lures while your learning as you need to work the jigs as close to the bottom as you possibly can.

What I learnt was to look for the kelp beds and fish as light as conditions would allow so the jig can reach the bottom.

All of the well known jigs will work like Yamashita, Yo Zuri and many more.

Some fishos swear by the cheapies also, just experiment to find what suits you & carry a few colours.

Pink & Green Yo Zuri jigs is all I have ever used but my weakness is that I find something that works as just stick to it there is so many different colours available I am sure that I am limiting my sucess rate by not trying more colours!!!

As for spots if your on a boat try to sound out the kelp beds if you have a capable sounder to do so.

Landbased, most of the wharves of a night around Hacking & the Harbour will hold squid.

I used to squid at Jeffery Street Kirrabilli but I dont know if your alowed to fish there anymore but It was a good spot for me.

Good Luck on your quest, Remember persistence pays off!!

Regards,

Nathan

Edited by beginner