Advice Needed: Shopping for Rods

SquidMarks

Im looking at replacing 2 of my old (and now broken) rods and since i have not been into the rod scene for a few years im really at a loss. Im hoping i could get some sensible advice from fellow raiders.

Rod 1: This used to be my estuary/breaming rod (line class 2-4kg).

It was matched to a Rarenium 2500 ci4. This rod was my 'all rounder' estuary rod (i know i know, no such thing as an all rounder but hear me out).

It was broken when i decided to have some fun chasing kingfish on 6lb braid (~60cm) and then, finally, on the last fish yesterday, the rod tip managed to get tangled into the landing net, the fish flapped and the rod snapped (pardon the rhyming).

The new rod will be used to mainly baitfish (i know, go for a cheapo rod), but im also partial to flicking some soft plastics and 15g metals around estuaries and in washes, it will be used off the boat 95% of the time and needs to at least handle some legal kings (im not expecting the rod to handle 1m+ monsters here though, im trying to be realistic, and when i say handle, i mean not fall apart on me when one jumps on a chrom destined for tailor). I will mainly be using it to target bream and whiting/ flathead as well as chase bonito and tailor with some small metal slugs.

Rod 2: This used to be my snapper rod (a T curve revolution vertical, for some reason i didnt mind the med taper action).

It was matched to a Stradic 4000 ci4. This rod was my snapper and flathead drifting rod. It was mainly used for sending pilly floaters out for snapper, doing the flathead drift and throwing some poppers/lures outside for kingies/salmon.

It was broken when the other half clipped in the hook to the bottom guide and overtightened the line leaving a substantial bend. A choppy ride and a bouncing sinker did the rest and the rod is missing its top quarter (poor wife was only trying to help, she felt so bad as this was her favorite rod).

The new rod will be used in much the same was as the old. I would be running 20lb braid on the stradic but the drag is rarely ever tightened past 12lb).

I would like to stick to a price point around $150 per each rod but that price point is flexible. Im not into flashy blank colours or fancy trim parts which 'bling up the rod'. I would rather the rods value be in the parts where it counts (a quality blank and quality guides).

ANy advice or personal experiences would be apreciated! :fishing1:

For rod 1: I would recommend a daiwa generation black wicked Wiesel (2-6kg)

I've flicked small plastics for bream on it to big 7inch slapstick for kings

It handle from small bream, whiting, flathead, etc, etc to big (64cm) kingfish, salmon, tailor, bonito, etc, etc.

Good luck finding a new rod for both

Oh and it $160 which I think is a great price for the rod

Cheers Gianni

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yeah, the wicked weasel and the vertias are mentioned a lot by others too, i will have a look at both, thanks guys!

Any clue on rod number 2?

Others may have better rods in mind however I use these two

Pflueger Salt - Spin 6' 8-15kg 1pc - Use for outside fishing - bottom bashing with baits or livies. Nice and short but strong & has good flex

Pflueger Salt - Spin 7' 5-8kg 1pc - Use for drifting around the deeper parts of where I fish. Also like to use it when on the troll or jigging.

For the price I am very happy with both rods, Which I believe I picked up for $70 each.

Cheers

Thanks for all your opinions guys,

i ended up with a 3-6kg Veritas spin and a 5-10kg tcurve offshore. The offshore seems to have plenty of guts and the veritas has some great action which gave me 40-50m casts of a 15g slug out there yesterday