South West Rocks (NSW) fishing tips/advice?

Tome

My wife and I just got back from a week at Stuart's Point on Sat. We were boat based on the Macleay and it's various arms so I'm afraid I don't have too much land based help (been there for 4 Christmases now). This trip was very slow as we had heavy rain the first 2 days and it didn't pick up until day 6.

The 'Golden Hole' at Fisherman's Reach offers good access, just Google it and you'll get easy instructions to get there. We fished it a week ago for not much, but now the estuary has flushed the fresh out it might pick up. I read that the Breakwall on the South side of the Macleay at South West Rocks fishes ok, but haven't fished it myself (we did try it from the boat anchored on a sand flat 20' off the wall last Wed for nothing, but again that was probably the fresh in the system).

Good luck !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Tastee

Hi was there a few weeks back. fished gap beach with beach worms for a mixture of dart, whiting and flathead, fish light casting to the close gutters. Fished "the kink" in the breakwall targeting Jews and flathead for no luck. Casting sp's from the boat ramp up to Spencer creek mouth produces flathead. Had one trip in a boat for 10 flathead on lures, launched from Jerseyville ramp which looked good landbased and about 200m up river was the first place we cast, which you could easily reach from the shore. This was a family holiday so not alot of fishing done, but make sure you get an ice cream cone from the horseshoe bay koisk, cheapest you will get anywhere. Have fun hope you get a feed.

I fished the breakwall in early November, I got plenty of big bream, a few flatties, Dart, Whiting, Flounder, forktail catfish, and we had a couple of unstoppables too.

My suggestion? Take your biggest gear and chain yourself to a rock. I haven't seen line peel that fast off a spool for a long time. Good luck.