Exploring the Hacking - LB

SgtBundy

Was given pass to go fishing yesterday and decided to explore somewhere new and headed south to check out the Hacking. I was hoping to try and find somewhere to have a go for squid and also throw some SPs.

Hit Lilli Pilli baths first up around 2pm and prospected with some SPs for no touches but the current was really ripping and I could only throw into the channel. I was eyeing off thr sandflats on the other side with envy. Eventually found some chopper tailor that were only interested in destroying gulp nuclear chickens and squidgy bloodworms. Would not touch metals, vibes or hardbodies.

Moved on to wally's wharf where the wind was not friendly. The only direction to cast was into the wind so I had to up my jig to 1/4 which the extra weight proved the undoing of a poor albright leader knot. I then found that was my last 1/4 head and with not much on offer I decided to move on to Gunnamatta park.

There was able to cast upwind but previous wind attempts had caused some poor lay on my reel and I got a massive windknot that involved three lines coming off the spool. After a futile 30 minutes trying to undo it the braid snapped somewhere deep in the knot. When all cleaned up I lost about 20m of braid. A few casts later another albright came apart along with a stream of curses. Rerigged with back to back uni knots and continued prospecting for flathead but no takes other than toadfish destroying more plastics. In the end of all this I went through all my gulps and bloodworms plus was in need for heavier jigheads. By now it was 8:30, dark and I was hungry.

Found a maccas for a quick bite and figured out my next move as I wanted to hit the beach for the high tide at 11. Picked up some servo pilchards and squid to hit the beach in front of wanda surf club.

Fairly quiet night. Before the top of the tide a small flathead and blind shark took interest in the small squids I had out. At the top of the tide the weed came in and made a mess of both rods and the smaller rig got busted off while the heavier one took an effort to land the weed and detangle it again with a loss of braid.

All quiet after that with another small flathead on my last pilchard at 12:30.

A long day fishing which again confirmed I really want a kayak.

Mate when you tie an Albright correctly it should be perfectly smooth, ie no bulges of line in the knot and triple test it by pulling on the knot before use as well. I always use saliva as a lubricant and pull slowly but with constant pressure and with my thumb on the knot as it comes tight. Good luck for next time :)