South Coast

luvbigfish

Gday Raiders and happy new year to all , been a long time since posts but finally had a decent fish over the holidays down ulladulla way , fishing down there was a bit quiet and water was only reading 17.5 to 18.5 degrees , we were targeting reds but they were hard to find ,plenty of flattys and those line chomping jackets , still ended up with feed to bring home :)

post-13338-0-28567200-1420739526_thumb.jpg

Edited by luvbigfish

there's a couple of decent reds there, no record breakers but a great feed.

They are the most annoying species of LJ's too and they have to be big before you get any meat off the buggers, do you know what species they are called?

The leatherjackets were off the lighthouse on the flatty grounds in numbers last weekend. Picked up a couple of flatties but it was hard work compared to the usual successes there.

The jackets were biting through the braid above the swivel on a paternoster rig which was pretty annoying. I think I have worked out why - I reckon because I was using plastics the fluid from them was getting into the braid and making it attractive to the leatherjackets. Can't think of any other reason they would find braid attractive.

Hi bluewater , I thought the same I found it very hard finding the fish , think it was the cold water ? I'm sure the water temp will start riding in the next few weeks , And as for those jackets when there on the bite nothing is safe that gets send down grrrrrr

• 2 weeks later...

Hi stanton ,Try straight off burril line Centre of town with Pigeon house in about 55 metres , should pick up a red or 2 ;)

Dumb question, but then I'm from interstate... Is "reds" a nsw term for snapper? In other states small snapper are called pinkies.

Ha ha, agree luvbigfish, they will bite anything!

No joy over the last two weekends either. Crappy weather and seasick crew made for a challenge (thanks to the wife for her contribution to the burley trail though :clapping: ) - the fish were off the bite on the flatty grounds too, trolling the lighthouse and bannisters and out wide got no results either and bottom bouncing the reefs were also a waste of effort.

The only guys catching were the 4am starters and I am not that keen when the weatherman says it is going to be a tough day on the water.

General consensus at the boat ramp was that no one was getting anything, not sure what the cause is.

Ah well, that's fishing : ) :mad3:

Dumb question, but then I'm from interstate... Is "reds" a nsw term for snapper? In other states small snapper are called pinkies.

If it helps, as a kid we always called the smaller ones reddies or reds (as short for red bream) and the bigger ones snapper. Found this quote on Wikipedia that shows I wasn't a unique snowflake: "Australia: cocknies (young smaller than legal size), red bream or pinkies (legal size), squire or squirefish (when bigger), snapper (at full size)"

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australasian_snapper#Regional_variation_in_naming