Magnetic Island GT

slinkymalinky

Had a Christmas break with my parents on Magnetic Island.

There are a couple of fishing charter operators on Magnetic Island but only 1 into serious sport fishing. The Skipper, Josh and his dad, Kerry (one of Magnetic Island's police officers) have a couple of awesome one-of-a-kind custom sportfishing boats that I've been lucky enough to fish from many times.

This trip I went out with a crew of other fishos from various parts of the country including another Josh who was being shouted a 16th birthday present and what a present it ended up being. I almost exclusively fish lures (mostly plastics) up that way. Having fished there plenty of times I was quick to lend my light gear to the birthday boy and others as we came across the inevitable schools of tuna working... only Macks this time, no Longtails. I get a huge kick out of seeing other people catch fish, particularly when for young Josh his Mack tuna was his best every (but unbeknown to him, soon to be completely eclipsed).

post-6175-0-87646800-1420757032_thumb.jpg

post-6175-0-54755100-1420757055_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have anything to brag about myself. I caught plenty of fish including a handful of undersized spanish mackerel (all on mono leader), a bunch of aquarium fish, remoras, and some undersized reefies.

But the real focus of this report is what happened when skipper, Josh, took us to one of his special isolated marks. As soon as we arrived the boys on board hooked a few tasty reef fish (small mouth nannygai) and looking over the side I could see some GTs following them up. "Great" I thought and over goes a 145mm Squidgie Flick Bait to the fish that I thought were around the 3-5kg mark.

Much to my frustration and amazement, the little trevs completely ignored my soft plastic even though they looked aggressive and hungry. At the back of the boat, skipper Josh sent over a 2kg livebait on a heavy jig rod. Suddenly the trevs that I thought were small GTs about 5m under the boat turned out to be Volkswagon sized GTs about 25m under the boat and came tearing up fighting over which would get to swallow the livebait whole.

It all happened so incredibly fast that I was left with my mouth hanging open as the overhead jig outfit howled and skipper josh started driving the boat away from the mark into clear water. There was no question as to who would get the rod and birthday boy got connected to the fight of his life. From never having tangled with serious fish to a 25kg GT is a biiiig jump. The fight was one of sheer stubborness but for a long time it wasn't certain who would come out on top.

post-6175-0-21923800-1420757050_thumb.jpg

Josh's face says it all. His birthday present HUUUURRRRT but what a memory and what a great thing to witness.

A second 'baby' was landed (about 16-18kg)... us older blokes were very quick to take a step backwards when volunteers for the rod were requested but it was landed by another reasonably inexperience fisho. The next day the boat went out again and hooked 9, boating 5, for a new crew.

Almost as a footnote, I walked off the boat with some fantastic fillets of Cobia and both Smallmouth and Largemouth Nannygai... gifts from the others for my good Karma of sharing my gear around.

Another great day on Magnetic Island.

Cheers, Slinky