Dirty Water and First Fish of the New Year

joking fish

Just a quick report, It has been a while between drinks for my brother and I. My last three outings have proved unproductive. Over the last month and a bit there has been little to crow about. The water in Pittwater is a dark murky green at the moment and in desperate need of a flush out. Yesterday we spotted several poddy mullet and plenty of white bait but there were very few yellow tail around which suggests the ecosystem is dysfunctional.

The outfit I was using was less than ideal. It was a combination of a rod and reel taken and combined from two separate devices. I was immensely unhappy with the result. Still it did its job of casting and retrieving. My brother and I fished our usual spot at Newport around mid to late afternoon. We used a burley of chicken pellets mixed with tuna oil. We caught some small tailor that were just under legal. Then my brother caught a big blue swimmer crab. He called it for a bream! Bahahahaha! Just as we were running out of bait my beat up old egg beater reel started to sing. The fish took a good first run. After a short fight, a healthy 60cm flathead was landed. After a few photos she was released. Shortly after we packed up and headed for home. A cracker of a fish to kick off 2015.

post-16627-0-60427900-1420770309_thumb.jpg