Educated Fish

bombora

Hiya all, have been reading a bit lately about how quickly the bass in Japanese lakes learn about certain plastics and that is the reason "the next big thing" lure is so important to Japanese fishos. Basically they are forced to constantly find new lures cause the "old ones" stop producing very quickly. Wonder if the sainted bass minnow will go the same way here seeing as everyman and his dog uses em?

As an example I have a mate at work whork is luckily enough to live in a waterfront home in the Hawkesbury area. He has the usual wharf at the front. Now this guy was telling me that on weekends he can have anywhere up to 30 boats cast lures under his wharf in a full day. He actually counted something like 28 "visits" one day last autumn. So how many lures have the bream which live under his wharf seen? Bad luck if you are Fisho Number 10 or 20 or whatever. These fish must see a damn lot of lures and wonder if, as my mate says, he rarely sees anyone actually score a fish or even a strike.

Something to think about ayway. cheers Bombie

Was reading the lastest "marlin" magazine last night , an article - about how being a better bass fisherman can make you a better marlin fisho or so it goes. They refer a lot of there data from the "berkley" fish research centre in ioha USA. The things they test for is out of this world! :1yikes: If you or i have thought of it, they HAVE tested it in the labs. From colours, shapes vibrations, to tastes, smells and rattles, (every scent on the market) its actually a very very good article (and what i purchased it for). They show data of large mouth bass and how they`re memories of rattles etc have an effect on heavily fished areas, however fish do forget over time!

And i think thats what alot of us are bad at - And thats -

BEING FISH! Or THINKING LIKE FISH!

They don`t have a great memory like US (some better than others) They don`t see anywhere near the colour spectrum like US. Blue is the only real colour they claim fish can see. Makes sence..........

I urge everyone to read this article its that good. They also made refference to a book on bass, forget the name, a bible of sorts written be a berkley reaserch guru that applies to all fish specis buts it too is a must read

Enjoy

Dan

dan

Edited by hottuna

Interesting stuff Swoffa, what about a very small waterway like some of the coastal lagoons? I know one in particular :biggrin2: where I've had a shocker the past 6-8 months. Basically went from a killer year at the goon to a shocker year where I've struggled on each visit. Then again I may be searching for an excuse for crap angling skills or the goon may be having one of its off years!!!! Sounds like something the Aussie bass lake fishos will have to take into consideration though.

Hiya H-tuna that sounds like a great read. Will pick up a Marlin mag on the weekend and devour! Cheers Bombie

Hiya; mate last summer I saw NO trev bust-ups. Admittedly work was hellish and didn't have as many opportunities to get there, but still would have popped down on average 2-3 times a week at least. Have almost given up on it too! Heard through the grapevine that a couple of yokels ripped out some brilliant fish on live prawns on floats fished on kelly rigs :mad3: . Cheers Bombie

A perfect example is the dam at Kariong. Nice big fat Silver Perch wont touch a lure at all.

These fish are fed on cat pellets pretty much exclusivelly, and you can be hard pressed to catch one on anything else.

Throw any lure you like and they wont touch them even when they are busting up right in front of you taking pellets.

Float a small piece of cork out that looks like a pellet and whammo. My lure -a piece of cork. :biggrin2:

It would seem from this that having line and hook makes no difference, and is moreso the fact that while these fish are feeding on a particular type of food that sits motionless on the surface, and are feeding well, they are not likely to touch anything different.

Maybe goon fish are a bit the same having a semi stable and controlled environment. Maybe there is less fish as well meaning a less terrortorial and aggressive feeding pattern as well. Could be just overfished ?

Perhaps fish on the move dont have this characteristic and readily hit lures out of aggression instead of feeding.

Obviously bait fishing prawns triggers a feeding response only which is why it might be more successfull in a goon.

My theory is that with fish that dont move like dam fish or Bass and Perch which hold in a spot for a while could easily recognise food or prey not known to them and perhaps ( only perhaps ) refuse it. Where river fish and fish on the move are more likely to take a lure either out of agression or for a feed.

Just another theory anyway.