Port Hacking

Yowie

post-13153-0-95072500-1421140426_thumb.jpgpost-13153-0-73465600-1421140513_thumb.jpg

Headed out early this morning, with the wind up, I anchored near Deer Park to get out of the wind.

Used salted yakka fillets and squid strips for only little reddies, Caught a couple of larger yakkas, so filleted them and caught the reddie, tailor and crab, the squid caught the flounder and smallest flattie.

Sent out a live yakka, which was still swimming strongly at the end. Some larger fish cruised through, possibly kingies, which caused the yakka to become agitated, but no bites.

Threw lures at the fish but no bites, they were cruising fairly fast.

Pumped some nippers at low tide, then waded along the banks for a while. Only 2 bites from flatties, but hooked both of them, the other bites from little whiting and tarwhine.

(my shadow in the photos, did not see it when taking the shots, was rather sunny and glary looking into the camera)

Edited by yowie

Your posts make me want to learn the hacking, yowie! Great mixed bag, i would be over the moon to have a session like that.

I'm landbased, I did some exploring and found a spot at the end of willarong road in Caringbah recently that opens up onto yowie bay... Was some steep bushland and a Rough climb to get out. It also seemed like it would be difficult to avoid snagging on rocks at my feet if I were to fish it at high tide. I fished around the low and caught a gazillion pinkies and two bream, one was a keeper.

Struggling to see any similar spots on the north side of the hacking that won't be overcrowded and drop into fairly deep water.

Your posts make me want to learn the hacking, yowie! Great mixed bag, i would be over the moon to have a session like that.

I'm landbased, I did some exploring and found a spot at the end of willarong road in Caringbah recently that opens up onto yowie bay... Was some steep bushland and a Rough climb to get out. It also seemed like it would be difficult to avoid snagging on rocks at my feet if I were to fish it at high tide. I fished around the low and caught a gazillion pinkies and two bream, one was a keeper.

Struggling to see any similar spots on the north side of the hacking that won't be overcrowded and drop into fairly deep water.

Hard to get to many spots on the north side, due to most areas being covered by houses.

Nice work Yowie. Great mixed bag. Can I ask how you got the swimmer? Is it just a by catch that you managed to get the net under before it let go?

This one had somehow tangled itself in the line. It also had some line around the legs on one side. Easy enough to scoop out with the net. Had another one on a bait, but it let go half way up. In the deeper water, the crabs don't appear to like hanging onto a bait when being so far off the bottom. In shallower water, they usually hang on to the surface.

A fish head is a good bait in the shallower water, less likely to be attacked by pickers. The trouble is sometimes the heads attract eagle rays.

When a crab grabs a bait, slowly pull the line to the surface, keeping the crab just under the surface, then scoop it out. Sometimes the crabs will let go when they see the net, so you have to be quick.

Thanks Yowie. Presumably no hook required on the fish head?!

Jimbu there are a couple of spots in Cronulla. Easy access from the path between bass and flinders to salmon haul.

There are steps down to a high platform. Popular rocks East of salmon haul. Also West down the rocks from the beach. Also if you follow the path all the way there is a rope climb ( I. E. Someone has put a rope to help) down to rock platforms. I have been snagged there too but that's fishing. Happy to show you the 2-4 spots I know. Sometimes busy but not always

That's just the tip of the cronulla peninsula

Then there is gunamatta but there are are already a couple of recent posts about that

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Thanks for the offer saltwater dog! Might have to take you up on that sometime soon.

I'm usually limited to the georges as its on my doorstep but have been venturing further recently to keep things interesting.

With your regular as clockwork posts always listing fish that you have caught you are becoming a bit of a legend on this site.

Cheers

Paikea

Thank you, but, just another fisho that catches a few.