New User / New angler! - help needed

Louiss

Hey guys!

firstly let me say hello. My name is Louis, I'm 21 years old from Leeds, UK. Currently living in Glebe and thought id try out a little bit of fishing as it is something that has always interested me!

Back home I used to do the occasional bit of pond fishing (mainly for carp) with my father, but am a complete novice when it comes to sea fishing.

I went to K mart and bought a Sport Fisher Saturn 6'6" Estuary Combo 2-4kg Castweight 5-20g (not sure if this will be any goood to use?) as it was the cheapest to start with

a few times I have wandered down to Blackwattle bay (next to the Hanson concrete plant) as this is close to where I live, and tried to fish using a small soft plastic.

I haven't had any luck yet (when I say I haven't had any luck, I mean I haven't even had a bite!).

I know I am doing it all wrong as I don't really know what I am doing haha!

Can anyone give me some tips please - preferable about setup, location (if where I am fishing is actually worth fishing) and just generaly anything you think will help me!

Thanks in advance guys!

Louis

Welcome to Fishraider Louis, you've come to the right place for info, help and fishing buddies. Like you I landed from the UK a couple of years back with a strong Carp/Fly fishing background but Australia is a completely different beast!

To start with it would help to know what's your plan... Catch and Release or Cook and Eat? If you're planning on cooking your fish then you'll need to start to "target" them, if you don't care what you're catching as long as it gives you a bit of fight and fun then that will open up the door a little bit more!

The main thing to take away from this post will be safety first! A lot of visitors to the NSW East Coast think fishing of the rocks is a fun thing to do... a lot of the people who die never took any precautions. Rock fishing is the most dangerous activity in NSW with many dying each year. Before you get yourself onto a sea facing ledge you need a life jacket, rock cleats, knowledge on how to read the swell and knowledge how to swim... being from the UK you might remember these:

SSPA+Badges.png

You think I'm joking... maybe a little but if you don't know how to swim then maybe this isn't the sport for you? Never go on a rock ledge on a swell over 1.3m, and never go alone!!!

Soft Plastics are a bit of an art... there are youtube videos that will help a little bit but maybe the best thing to do is try and catch up with our resident plastic experts and have a day out with them learning the best things to do. Pretty sure they will be more than willing to help out.

If you aren't set on sticking to plastics and metals then Bait is the way to go... again this depends on where and when you fish.

Tides are key to catching, depending on where you're fishing, you can search the forums using the box at the top for most posts about the tide and how it effects fishing.

I hope this helped... give us as much information as you can about your plans and what you want and we'll help out!

Ed

Check out the articles section there's a lot of good info. Here's some of the articles

http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/soft-plastics-for-bream-flathead.php

http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/soft-plastics-rigs.php

http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/soft-plastics-bait-fishing.php

Part 3 is a bit advanced though so I wouldn't worry about it yet. If you just want to catch anything of any size then use some prawns on a small hook (size 6 - 10). With plastics you will get less action, but when you do hook something then most times it will be a better fish than you would normally get ie. Little pickers

I've wondered myself if there would be any fish in there. I would guess there could be some flathead and would be bream. You just need to find some structure like a wharf, pylons, weed beds or drop offs and there you will find fish. Good luck and let us know how you go.

Hey guys,

thanks for the replies.

I went to the Canal mouth lastnight when the tide was really low (I don't get home from work until 5:00pm so I pop down after that) and fished for a couple of hours using soft plastics.

Didn't get a single bite haha so im clearly doing something wrong.

Going to try using prawns now as I need to boost my confidence - been 5 times and haven't once managed to catch something!

Not going to give up tho - eventually I will land something im sure of it!

The harbour is infested with big bream, just pickup $5 worth of breast or thigh chicken and $2 worth of parmesan cheese, and cut the chicken into strips, sprinkle with parmesan and you're almost guaranteed some bream, I've caught bream, snapper, flathead, flounder, tailor, just about anything with chicken, It sits on the hook really good and its really cheap, good luck!

Fair play... A nice flathead! Careful of the spikes behind the gill plates, they contain a bit of venom, not serious but can give an uncomfortable sting. Did you return him or eat him? Flathead are great to eat!

Mate well done on the flatty, I've spent countless hours down at rozelle where you are and learnt a lot of my plastic fishing there, it's not the easiest spot but I've had good success, flick me a message I'd be more than happy to come and have a session with you and see if we can't wrangle up a few fish :)

I usually finish 5/6 pm work as well so I'm sure we can manage something. Lures can be a bugger at the start but they're very effective and addictive I'd you put some time in :)

Mate well done on the flatty, I've spent countless hours down at rozelle where you are and learnt a lot of my plastic fishing there, it's not the easiest spot but I've had good success, flick me a message I'd be more than happy to come and have a session with you and see if we can't wrangle up a few fish :)

I usually finish 5/6 pm work as well so I'm sure we can manage something. Lures can be a bugger at the start but they're very effective and addictive I'd you put some time in :)

thanks mate :)!

yeah I went down again Saturday morning (fishing with chicken as bait) but just kept getting my bait taken by some annoying little things!

sweet - ill send you a PM now and that would be great! I really wanna learn how to use lures as they seem a lot more fun than just using bait!