New Beach Rod Casting Problem

Tulz

I recently purchased a new beach rod- a 13 foot, 10-15kg Penn Prevail. I opted for this rod as it has a stiffer rod tip and it's use will be for large slab baits and livies intended for Jewies. However, i'm unable to get much distance out of my casts with this rod. It's matched up with a Shimano Baitrunner 6000d spooled with 25lb mono. I'm using a rig consisting of an easy rig clip attached to a swivel down to 40lb trace with 2 snelled 8'0's. I normally have a 5oz sinker attached. The couple of times i've used it i've used small arrow squid for bait.

I've never had trouble with casting before however the rod feels like it isn't loading up properly when casting and the line feels like it's going to take the tip of my finger off. I've always used beach rods with softer rod tips and have never had this problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I decide to get rid of it and sell it.

This might sound stupid but try decreasing the weight, as the rods longer you'd expect increasing the weight could increase the cast distance however it can also be over weighted. Not just the weight though... each rod will cast differently depending on how much "free" line you have, Imagine a trebuchet, a long one with a short line wouldnt throw as far a long line due to the optimal velocity. With a larger rod the optimal velocity would be reached with a longer free line.

<3 science!

So longer free line with less weight you think? Will give it a go. Upon purchasing my mindset was to continue using the same weights i've always done, which is as light as the conditions allow. In addition the rod is the same length as i've always used.

Having looked at a couple of other forums I think the line is too big. I previously had the reel spooled with 30lb braid which has a much smaller diameter than the 25lb mono. Will re-spool and give it a shot. I'll also try a longer free line but I think the line size is the problem as I never had the problem with the 30lb braid on the reel on my other rods.

I have the same rod, first off its really heavy. especially mine which has a big bloody penn spin fisher v on it.

i WAS USING 30LB mono which didnt work well casting wise so downsized to 20lb platypus and now it casts alot better.

im also considering braid for this reel as it will hold miles of it.

try downsizing to 20lb qualirty mono, reduce knot size. dont no what your using now but slim beauty works well.

I'm going to downsize to 16lb which should be ample and hopefully improve the casting abilities. I'm only using the rod off the beach so I should be able to stop most fish after time without having to worry about bust off on structure.

Interesting comments above.

I have exactly the same rod. paired to a different reel running 30lb mono and have no problems casting 7 and 8oz sinkers with a slab of mullet on double 7/0n hooks casting between 80 to 100yds.

Maybe you need to try a different method of launching it. Check out John Holdens casting techniques

Interesting comments above.

I have exactly the same rod. paired to a different reel running 30lb mono and have no problems casting 7 and 8oz sinkers with a slab of mullet on double 7/0n hooks casting between 80 to 100yds.

Maybe you need to try a different method of launching it. Check out John Holdens casting techniques

Thanks for your input mate. What size reel are you using?

Looking at the maximum line rating on my reel the 25lb mono was too big for it. I've since re-spooled with 15lb. As I said I previously I had it spooled with 30lb braid and had no issues with casting which led me to believe the 25lb mono was the problem. I'll know in a couple of hours anyway as i'm hitting the beach again tonight.