Why do you ask, 2 rods?

stevefish

If you could only use 2 rods for the entire year, what would be your choices?

What would miss the cut and how to make do?

I would have a 3 pound spin for bream lizards squid and bait as well as any other SP work, plus a 15 kilo stand up for marlin tuna and now live baiting kings. A bit underdone on inshore pelagic and tuna for that matter. Bottom bashing and Jews would get the year off.

What would you choose??

I own 18 rods and 12 reels of varying age and for varying applications, a number of which I've saved from becoming landfill. I recently bought the Abu Garcia Black Max / Veritas combo. My second baitcaster ever and now I love baitcasters, but it's too new to include. So I'll stck with;

1) My 2 piece Rovex Air Strike 8kg 7' spin stick coupled with a Shimano Alivio 2500 spooled with 3kg braid for estuary, lake and stream.

2) My single piece Abu Garcia 13' graphite beach / rock rod circa 1983 teamed with a Shakespear Sigma 070 from around the same time. Spooled up with 10kg mono. it might be old tech, but it's robust and reliable enough to get among the bigger fish in the suds.

If I just had to have two...

5-12lb black label with my 2510 certate with pe1 braid. Heavy enough to tackle jews but light enough to throw bream and bass lures. Then my 6 to 10kg 10ft beach rod with my 6000 busted up Abu cardinal with heavier braid to cover beach / heavier work.

Normally I'd say my 1-3kg pflueger patriarch and luvias 2004h and the certate combo, but if it'd be for a whole year I'd want some beach and big fish possibilities.

Tough choices!

I've had two Shimano Catanas and busted both of them doing nothing really wrong, so I'm afraid I don't rate them. At this price point I much prefer the Starlo Classix, which to date are hanging in and have a lovely feel to them. I'm no expert so stick to Shimano and Okuma for simplicity and trust the brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have not tried a whole lot, but of my small collection:

1. Samaki Zing 7ft 2-5kg - SP and lure work (and if forced light bait, but I use my 2-5kg ugly stik for that now).

2. Shimano Aerowave Graphite 12ft - beach and heavy stuff.

The other rods I have are 8ft 6-10kg rods for live baiting and heavier stuff off wharfs, or just as a second rod to use on the beach while the aerowave sits out for that jewfish that will one day discover my baits.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I couldn't choose 2. It would be like asking two of my four kids to leave home! :(

Hey Scratchie,

Say that again in 20 years time, mate. Launching a yatch in a force 9 is easier than getting young adult to leave home!

But I can understand how tough it is, having to choose two of your best rods, especially if you have a range and fish often.

That's the kind of problem I could live with every day!