Gunnamatta Bay - 24/1/15

SgtBundy

After my first expedition down to the Hacking I wanted to come back and have another go at Gunnamatta with SPs off the sand flats. Got down there just before 4 this afternoon with a resupply of squidgees and started working my way down from the baths, concentrating on working the dropoff to the boat moorings and weed beds. Little stingrays were everywhere so a lookout for foot placement was done carefully - some larger models showed up as it got darker but it was surprising how many were around.

Early on got a small pinkie absolutely engulf a 120mm bloodworm but still took the hook perfectly for an easy release. Got the odd hit and a few plastics destroyed by toadfish I think which was annoying (yet another packet destroyed). I tried a prawn model and the gulp nuclear chickens but only got interest in the bloodworms.

As I worked my way down the sandbank a little kid about 8 and his dad were mucking about with a rod. They left just before I got to where they had been. A little while later the kid was back with his rod a few metres up from me. He seemed to be a keen fisho in making - asking me questions and apparently practising his casting (kid style - all gusto, little result) with a small paddle tail lure. Next thing he is on and brings in a solid 43cm flathead - I came over and gave him a hand with it while his parents came from further up the beach. I got the hook out for him and let him take a look over his fish and he decided to let it go as they had no way to take it home. The little fella was chuffed and smiling ear to ear - which was good to see. He hung around asking more fishing questions and continuing to cast - even losing his lure which I replaced with a small SP for him.

In my mind I was wondering why the hell I missed that fish having been casting there not 2 minutes before him.... but I guess that is fishing :)

I continued working down the bank for nothing more than a few taps - at one point I got a good strike but immediately the braid snapped. I think it might have been some damage from the week before when it got snagged.

Lots of people out - dads with kids fishing and it seemed like every little kid out there with a fishing rod was pulling in keeper flathead, as a few more groups further down caught some while I was casting nearby. On the way back I noticed another group of adults had a undersize rat king in their bucket - not sure if it was caught there or not as I didn't really think it was their sort of area.

Wandered back to the baths as it got dark and spotted a few squid (I think) near some weedbeds so tried using some jigs on them - got a few follows but nothing more than that. Finished up around 8:30 and headed home.

My wife questioned how long of catching nothing before I give up on this - it certainly has been a dry run of late, certainly nothing to take home. I told her until I figure out what I am doing wrong.

Great write up and well done for giving the young bloke a hand.

In my opinion the Hacking fishes better on baits like yabbies,squid,pillys.

I think it's the water clarity,boat/Human traffic,bright days that really put the fish off.

I find fishing early morning/overcast days/mild winds to produce the results.

With your soft plastics all I can recommend from the little experience i have that has worked for me is don't be afraid to vary your jig weight to suit the conditions(lightest is best as its the most natural)

I've used berley at times with plastics for good results on flattys,tailor,bream.

Vary your retrieves,fan your casts,work the structure,drop offs,ledges etc thoroughly .

Lastly the Hacking is a very hard place to bring home a feed in my opinion ,but the beauty of the place more than makes up for it in my opinion.

Cheers.

Yeah - the bait fishos were doing the damage. I went there because it looked like good SP territory with plenty of sand to wander - land based options for that seem limited.

Really hanging out for when I can get a kayak and cover new ground