Very brief rock sesh

KayakPat

I had a friend up from Canberra that last time I was down there I got her into spinning for Redfin in the lakes. So naturally she wanted to give spinning the rocks a go.

We rock up (South East rocks) and I give her my rod fitted with the trusty green raider fitted with a single hook, I burly up with some salmon chunks and go to set up my gear. I'm 1/2 way through my leader knot when I hear some shouting and look over. She's holding the rod quite low and there it a slight bend in it, I watch for a second and see some shakes so she's on. It looks pretty tame so probably a bonnie. I put together my long handled net and trot over to see how she's going... I arrive and still only a 1/3 full bend in the rod so figure she'll be right. Then I look a little closer and she's struggeling to lift the rod and the reel is running.... So I tell her to put more of a bend in the rod and she's if she can bring it up abit and it runs again... This might not be a bonnie, more big salmon really. So after that run I stick my hand in a give the drag a tighten and she starts to make a little more head way. 2 min later up comes a king, with a few more runs, some into the rocks below, we get it into the net. Looks close to legal (a legal king still eludes me) and this is her first fish off the rocks and it came in the first 10 min!!! It came up at 63cm and she said "aww yeah dinner tonight" I broke the bad news and back he went.

We only stayed for 30 min more with a few chases but no more fish, but I think she has the bug now...

It took me 3 months for my first king with plenty of salmon coming first so she's chuffed haha

But good to see they're there and are taking lures.

post-33751-0-32548500-1422246901_thumb.jpg

Edited by KayakPat