Towing

Weiry

Weiry,

Haven't driven one yet but the Specs below are taken off the Nissan website. I was also thinking of one for a replacement to tow around a 4.3 metre Quintrex Fishrunner, so I'll be interested to hear other people's opinions as well. Its a pity it doesn't come with a small V8 option

It features 132kW of power and 245Nm of torque. Outstanding low and mid-range torque combined with plenty of high end power

Towing capacity

- with trailer brakes (kg) 2000

- without trailer brakes (kg) 750

- towball download (kg) 150

Guest fishrunner

Hi Weiry,

I think you would be fine the lil c/console or hornet behind an Xtrail, as bout 2 weeks ago saw one on the road at rockdale towin a 5 1/2 mtr fiberglass cuddy, seemed to be going well and still had acceleration, I was quite impressed.

Good to do your homework though.

cheers

Edited by fishrunner

Weiry

Ive got the X-Trail and tow my little tub behind it no worries at all. Mind you I'm only talking about a 4.1 at around 400kg all up. However I have had it all loaded up with camping gear and a few people on longer trips and done alot of towing up and down the F3 freeway. With my boat you hardly even slow down on the big hills - it has plenty in reserve. Ive also towed a 750kg boat for very short trips but it has no problems there either. If youve got a hornet I am sure you will have no problems at all.

Adrian

I had a Honda CRV with a 1.8 litre engine which towed a Stejcraft 4.7 fiberglass cuddy cabin boat no problems. It had to go up some very steep hills also.

The X-Trail should be fine. I assume your boat is alloy to say 5m

Edited by Martin

Weiry what boat do you have.  Towing 2000kg with an xtrail is simply stupid. :1yikes:

67662[/snapback]

Might be stupid with 0 to 100km/h in 3 days, but the compliance plate says you can tow 2000kg :tease: Just dont hit the brakes too hard either - the x-trail only weighs 1400kg.

For a Hornet though - no probs

Its tossing up between that and everyday to and from work use of your car ...trying to find a happy medium $$$.

Wiery

I wasnt able to go up in car size when I got my X-Trail - company car and the budget allowed was taken to the hilt on the X-Trail. If you want a happy medium I find the X-Trail perfect. I drive lots of K's for work (50,000 a year), drive onto construction sites which are not always nice and flat, tow the boat, seats fold flat and you can sleep in the back easily - and all in a vehicle that drives like a car not like a truck. Due for a new car in about 12 months and will seriously be looking at a new x-trail unless my budget is extendedand I get the pathfinder.

Adrian

Weiry, bear in mind that the Patrol is a lot bigger physically. As well as the added fuel cost you would be looking at access dramas if your driveway/carport is tight.

My sister has the Patrol 3.0 turbo deisel. Awesome car to drive. Plenty of grunt, and the fuel burn is suprisingly low. It uses a lot less fuel than her 3.2 Musso was using. Plenty of tourque with the 3.0L so towing is not a problem!