Narrabeen - 5/2/15

SgtBundy

Thought the conditions might be suitable for a crack at getting that first jewie last night. Got some fresh squid and mullet and hit north narrabeen as I thought the runoff from the lake might bring on some activity. Setup around 9:30 for the 10:30 high tide.

The surf was rough, breaking well out and there was a lot of foam on top of what looked to be a hole or gutter near the lake exit. With the cloud cover keeping it dark despite the full moon I thought it looked like a fair chance.

About 20 min later 3 other guys setup 50m closer to the lake from me. Within about 10 minutes one of them was on. In the distance I thought it was a reasonable jewie but curiosity got better of me and I wandered up to see. He got an absolute horse of a flathead, prob over 85cm and solid as. I thought they were using livies but it was a humble pilchard.

It gave me confidence that some preditors were around but sadly not a touch the whole night. Packed up around midnight and even had a quick SP flick near the bridge for nought as well.

Can only keep trying. Next time I will go 50m from where I think is a good spot

Badluck mate,

We thought the same thing and hit dee why last night.

I only got one bait in the water and left. The current was running so hard i thought my bait was in clovelly lol. We had to put our gear up near the grass the swell was that big.

We saw another few blokes fishing but i think they had the same issue.

No good gutters either, i guess we should have tried narrabeen.

Badluck mate,

We thought the same thing and hit dee why last night.

I only got one bait in the water and left. The current was running so hard i thought my bait was in clovelly lol. We had to put our gear up near the grass the swell was that big.

We saw another few blokes fishing but i think they had the same issue.

No good gutters either, i guess we should have tried narrabeen.

There looked like there was some deep water in front of me and I thought it looked like a gutter with the waves out back, but it was running hard to the north it was hard to tell what was going on, especially to the south because it was just all foam.

I was using a 3 or 4 oz star sinker and it was holding mostly, but it did run off a few times but I was using some chunky mullet fillets. Tide was certainly the highest I have seen it at Narrabeen, but the days high water line on the sand from the morning tide was even further up.