Squid

paggles

I went to clifton gardens the other day and managed to lure 4 squid out of the weed by bashing my squid jig around crazily, i even managed a quick look by a blackfish or kingy(im not sure)...the thing is they had a look at my jig then pissed off :ranting2: maybe it was to big

i was wondering if there is such thing as squid burley....?sounds stupid but i had to ask...

cheers pags

Squid respond very well to berley. It is important that the berley is copped / minced as fine as posssible or they simply grab a piece & bugger off to eat it elsewhere. A light but steady stream of berley will improve your squidding.

PS - While finely chopped pillies & tuna worked OK for me I had NO success at all when I introduced tuna oil into the mix. It seemed to put them off. I did only try it once or twice though.

I have been told that if u get some squid chasing ur jig but not hitting, what you could do is to rub a piece of pillie over the fabric of the jig before casting it out. Not too sure if it works but i guess it would add a little bit of scent to the jig.

regards

Darryl

I have been told that if u get some squid chasing ur jig but not hitting, what you could do is to rub a piece of pillie over the fabric of the jig before casting it out. Not too sure if it works but i guess it would add a little bit of scent to the jig.

regards

Darryl

67722[/snapback]

ILL HAVE TO TRY THAT

couple of tips for following, but non-responsive squid:

1. downsize your jig

2. try suspending jig under a float. i found that some followers would only follow if the jig was retrieved, once suspended under a float the jig would get hit.

3. move on. squid often become jig shy after being %%%%%ed by a jig or dropped while being wound in.

you reckon that ultrabite stuff works?

i used it once for nothing but fish were there because i was catching them on pillie

67865[/snapback]

G'day

why not try one of the "old fashioned" jigs, ie one you thread a pillie or yakka onto.

Matt

i have this stuff called 'gary yamamoto' paste.......very similar to the mega strike that the bream fishos use.

i have been using that on my jigs at one of my local squid wharves and landing more than others. i just think that they hang on the jig longer so you can set the spike better.

i once burlyed up for yakkas out in botany bay and found squid turning up but no yakkas, lets just say i wasnt disapointed :thumbup: