50hp 4 stroke Mercury or Suzuki for the new Renegade

hughsnews

Hi folks,

Posted a few weeks ago that I was looking at different boats and was weighing up between the suzuki 4 stroke and the etec 2 stroke, both at 50hp to sit on a new Renegade 420 from quintrex.

Anyways, we have decided the package we want and have chatted to a few dealers and at the moment we have two offers on the same boat and gear, just a different engine.

Basically, I can get a Mercury 4 stroke 50hp or a Suzuki 4 stroke 50hp, both brand new, presumably late 2014 models.

The Suzuki looks like a better engine, its lighter and more fuel efficient.

But if we buy the Mercury, its about $1500 cheaper.

Just curious if anyone here can offer some pros and cons to either? Or any reviews on the newer model engines.

Is the price difference warranted? Our regular mechanic said the Suzuki is the way to go, but $1500 is a lot (a new rod or two would be nice :clapping: ).

Anyways, just after some sage wisdom from you guys....

G’day Bream

I can’t comment on the Suzuki, however I previously owned a Mercury 40hp 4 stroke which gave me a lot of grief. The motor had done less than 100 hours when I traded the boat, but it had been a hassle from day one. Irrespective of the price difference I wouldn’t consider buying another Mercury. My current boat is fitted with a Yamaha 60hp 4 stroke and I couldn’t be happier with it.

These comments are based on my experience only, others may have a different opinion.

Thanks guys, pros and cons for both. Looking at the new 2014 engines, I can see around a $1000 difference. Also from reading elsewhere the 'lean burn' tech on the suzuki looks like it will provide much better fuel usuage.

The one thing that may sell me to the Suzuki is it has a 5 year complete warranty where as the Merc has 3+2(major parts only).

My current boat has a merc and just after the warranty was up, one of the seals went and cost us $400 to replace. It's nice to know for 5 years any issues will be covered.

Problem is online, you always get some horror stories about all engines and some amazing stories.

Get that is writing, because you will find the 5 year warranty from Suzuki is not a 5 year non decling FACTORY backed warranty and both brands will cost a fair bit to service to keep that warranty. If warranty is that important to you make sure you read the fine print.

• 3 weeks later...

G’day Bream

I can’t comment on the Suzuki, however I previously owned a Mercury 40hp 4 stroke which gave me a lot of grief. The motor had done less than 100 hours when I traded the boat, but it had been a hassle from day one. Irrespective of the price difference I wouldn’t consider buying another Mercury. My current boat is fitted with a Yamaha 60hp 4 stroke and I couldn’t be happier with it.

These comments are based on my experience only, others may have a different opinion.

I am with you Cargo5 I have had a number of Yamaha motors 5hp 25hp 15hp and now getting a 70 4stroke all have been excellent hope the 70 goes the same

woywoycol :)

Edited by woy woy col