Storage Of Gear.

harold

I was down the boat yesterday, imagining what it would be like fishing if the gale wasnt blowing when i started to look at all the hooks, sinkers, SP's, lures etc etc i have in a couple of medium sized plastic storage bins. It led me to wonder just what does everyone use to store the zillions of hooks, sinkers, etc that we all end with on a boat?

Plano, plano, plano. The choice is simple and effective. The system is interchangeable so i can grab a few containers and put them in a large tackle box for a session. I have dozens of containers for various types of fishing. Choose your species, take the appropriate tackle and bob's your uncle.

I use the same system as Kevvie. But having said that, I am a bit dissappointed with the last batch of Plano boxes I bought! The didn't have the ones with the coloured locking tabs so I got a few of the ones that have the tabs as part of the lid. They don't close properly! :thumbdown:

Look for the ones that have a coloured locking tab rather than the clear ones. Shimano make a similar sized one that has the pockets going lengthways. Great for 9 inch Sluggo's! :biggrin2:

I just spotted some new Plano boxes. Called the CDS Stowaways. Same as the ones I mention, with the pro-latch closer. But it has angled dividers. Makes better use of the space for lures. I may change mine to them. I ordered a couple and waiting for them to arrive.

Heres a link! CDS Stowaways.

Joe I have found that if you add a spacer where the latches close, then the tackle box should snap shut perfectly everytime.  Mine are still going great after a few years.

67906[/snapback]

Bash...I think the ones I got may be faulty. Others that I have had for years don't pose that problem. May have to take them back and get it sorted. :wacko:

Do any shops stock the whole range of Plano to see??

67952[/snapback]

I'm not sure if anyone keeps the ENTIRE range of Plano. Most tacklo's will have the big sellers, and you would have to order the ones that don't sell as well.

Mick...you out there??? What does ABA keep in stock???

I have just been looking at a tackle catalouge and have looked at the Plano storage boxes and it states that there is a lifetime warranty with Plano products so If you have one that is brocken then they should replace it.

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a huge assortment of small to large clear see through tackle boxes at home. Each one is for a particular type of tackle. When I see them on special I buy a few more.

Eg, I have terminal tackle types:

a sinker box, a swivels box, hook types, lure types/sizes boxes, jig heads box, crimping box etc (you get the idea)

Everything stays inside the box/packet it was bought in, don't go opening your lovely re-sealable packets and tipping all your hooks together it's just madness.

I also have fishing types boxes, eg luderick, whiting, shark etc

When I want to go out I just make a selection for what I need on that day, no more. Any chemically sharpened hooks, swivels etc I use get thrown out and what I keep, eg lures, jig heads, floats etc all get cleaned and stored separately from the brand new ones so all my tackle is in top condition at home, not in the boat.

When I go fishing with mates, all I have is a shoulder bag, bucket plus rods and gaff or net. I usually only take 1 box to land based trips and only ever have (at the most) 2 or 3 travel tackle boxes with me on a boat (each about 1/2 the size of an A4 piece of paper). They can carry everything I need for that trip and store easily on board.

No need to take everything with me, although I have seen plenty of blokes to take every bit of tackle they own with them on every trip (just in case) in monster suitcase sized boxes.