spinning up some pillys

Krispy !

Headed out today before sunset to see what was happening at the local. Plenty of bait around but nothing chasing them. Got out the trusty metal lure and was getting hits but they werent sticking. Eventually got one and it was a huge pilchard. The next hour was spent cursing as I lost around 15 trying to lift them up. Got 6 in total to use for bait next time but a nice fun little session before the rain.

post-11865-0-53696900-1423823875_thumb.jpg

Hmmm I'm very confused. Herring are plankton eaters! Never heard of them being taken on bait or lure.

These arent herring, theyre a type of pilchard different to the WA ones. Also better for bait as they have a 7% higher oil content in the flesh

Krispy pilchards ( or sardines) they are members of the Herring family. Like I say I've ne er heard of line catching them.

But that dosen't mean I'm challenging you. Just expressing yet another element of the ocean I'm still learning mate.

Sorry mate I didn't mean to come across like that. I never knew they were part of the herring family so that's something new. Also the way they were hitting the lure was very deliberate, all mouth hookups and aggressive

Thanks for sharing krispy. Got to love the way the ocean keeps teaching us.

I'm a real text book guy and love the way this site and its members educate and challange me beyond the manual.

Great catch.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Catch a few now and then in Port Hacking when fishing for yakkas. The pillies will take a moving bait quite readily, even something like a small but tough piece of fish skin or flesh moving through the water will attract them. The pillies feed on tiny fish around the 1 to 2cm mark.

Krispy, with a name like that, you could cook them up. Cut off the heads, remove guts and butterfly fillet removing the backbone, add egg and breadcrumbs, then pan fry until just Krispy (crispy), top with fresh lemon juice and eat.

You can catch them on baitjigs

Have got them before on baitjigs but unfortunately didnt have one on me.

Catch a few now and then in Port Hacking when fishing for yakkas. The pillies will take a moving bait quite readily, even something like a small but tough piece of fish skin or flesh moving through the water will attract them. The pillies feed on tiny fish around the 1 to 2cm mark.

Krispy, with a name like that, you could cook them up. Cut off the heads, remove guts and butterfly fillet removing the backbone, add egg and breadcrumbs, then pan fry until just Krispy (crispy), top with fresh lemon juice and eat.

That sounds delicious, next time if I get 10 or 20 will try that