Did we have our first marlin strike?

Harbour Hauler

I was lucky enough to get out with a mate today to chase dollies around the fads. On the way back we decided to slow troll some skirts to see if we could tempt some action. We are novices at this game but always hopeful. We had our first strike on the shorter line , had a fight for about 5 seconds and the line went slack. On retrieval of the lure we realised we had hooked something of a half decent size as unfortunatly we hooked the fishes eyeball. We feel bad that this has caused permanent injury to the fish but are wondering what it could have been? A dollie? A marlin?

I have posted a pic of the fish eye and would appreciate any feedback as to the species from which this comes.

Thanks.post-15353-0-66078900-1423903109_thumb.jpg

LOL, that's a start, you caught the eye, maybe next time you will get the rest of the fish :)

Dolphin fish eyes are yellow, that one looks white and its pretty big, so I would say it's a marlin's eye.

It's a bummer it got injured, but that's fishing, you have to expect some injuries when you're dragging lures around with big hooks in them. I have caught Dollies before with one eye healed over, so hopefully he might be ok.

Peter