Newport Jewie attempt

SgtBundy

Arranged my work day so I could have s crack for jewies this evening and hit Newport around 8pm. As I got the gear out of the car I realised I had left the rod holders at home so it was going to be a single rod session. No matter - setup with some fresh mullet on the edge of a hole mid beach.

Not long in and my line took off - big run, lot of power and what seemed like head shakes. Fought for about 20 seconds before it dropped - leader broken not far off the hooks. I took (hoped really) the action to be that I might actually be on to a jewie so I rerigged as quick as my knot skills would let me wanting to get back if they hung around.

About 10 minutes later bang again - line runs off and I am hanging on but I was able to set the hook and then amp up the drag. It took multiple runs and some convincing to bring in, each time as it beached it would take off again. Got it out after using a few waves and my excitement faded... a little whaler shark.

b0e7aba70d471685410839fbba8b370e.jpg

After a bit of back and forth trying to release it I finally managed to pick it up and send it back.

After that it went quiet. Nothing through the turn of the tide or up until 11 when I called it a night. Some other guys on the south end beach seemed to have some activity and at one point I think a shark as well, but nothing that looked of note.

Happy to have a good scrap with the shark but still chasing that ghost.