All nighter - 21/2/15

SgtBundy

With the kids in bed I was given leave to head out last night. I had no fresh bait and I wanted to collect some lives anyway before hitting the beach for another crack at jewies.

Hit balmoral around 9:40 with some squid jigs and some old pilchards for yakkas. The squid eluded me but the yakkas were almost suicidal and in an hour I had a dozen good small models ready to go. I packed them in the car and went to Colloroy beach around 11.

In retrospect I should have trusted my observation and went elsewhere. There was no real structure and it seemed a shallow slope so I really couldnt cast into any sort of good water. I also thought using livies would mean scavengers like rays and carpet sharks would not be a problem. First two lives fell to small carpet sharks, a third lost its head to something and after the tide turned it went quiet.

Around 1:30 I decided to pack up but with another half dozen lives I thought it a shame to waste them seeing as I usually dont get time to collect them. I opted to go to blues point and thought I would try putting some near that big holr and see if I could raise anything.

The first few didnt last long so I kept them for bait. The next few got bitten by squids without any hookup. Eventually they were all gone so I put some out butterflied unweighted. The only customer for that was a large octopus which at first I thought was a kelp snag, but it came free and was brought up. Pretty strong bugger and was cool to see it change colour to match the gravel I had him on. He was cut free and the thrown back.

There was plenty of surface activity but putting some yakka bits under a light float got nothing all night. Stayed through the early morning showers but no changes through dawn or the bottom of the low tide. Packed up at 7am.

Other than the fishing I got to see shooting stars over the harbour bridge, watch two cruise ships manouvere out of circular quay at 5am, and watched a pretty nice sunrise

8ea6face7d45edcc04b22e6800e51bb9.jpg

So next time some more thought about my location and not settling for my first destination. Also need do more squidding practice.

Yeah - I figured I was out, I had bait and gear, and I maybe had a chance with the low tide near dawn so might as well push through. Also returning home at 3am and waking up the wife usually is not a good move :)

Might have been better over at Walsh bay or somewhere with more structure for kings or something but I know how ridiculous that place is on a weekend and from blues point it looked pretty occupied. My other thought was taking a nanna nap and using the remaining livies at another beach.