This weekend

adamski

Hey folks,

I hit Double Bay on Friday afternoon to see if I could get any more luck on hardbodies. Not much was happening, I managed a couple of tiny fish- a pinkie and another little thing I didn't recognise on a small shallow diver. I'd taken some prawns down to try for gars, but there weren't many about, so I fished them unweighted and ended up with pretty much a picker a cast, mostly undersized bream, but some whiting and tailor mixed in too. I was pretty disappointed for no good-sized fish and packed up once the prawns ran out.

Saturday morning I went to Milson's Point, the idea was to try and get some little squid or cuttlefish in the morning/early afternoon and set them out on my older, heavier rod later in the day to see if I could try for some of these pelagics that I've yet to get my hands on. As I was walking down under the Harbour bridge I saw a big bust up about 40-50 metres offshore. Three Asian guys were hitting it from the shore with metal slugs and picked up a few legal bonito and tailor. I was tempted to try my luck too, but I didn't have any slugs with me to reach it. Jigging for squid and cuttles hit a snag too- the jigs I was using were 1.5 size and were taking an age to get down to the kelp, plus there didn't seem to be anything around either. In the end, frustrated and cephalopod-less, I gave up and switched to plastics.

Moved around to Lavender Bay for a whiting, tailor and a couple of bream, all caught on the last of my bloodworm wrigglers. The biggest fish went 30 cm and put up a decent fight, had to tighten the drag to keep him out of the kelp beds. Cheers to the Asian guy for taking a quick snap of me looking a bit phantom in the new headscarf! (Hey, it keeps the sun off!)

post-33473-0-79737600-1425180938_thumb.jpg

After that, things quietened down, so i got on the ferry to Circular Quay, switched and went out to Double Bay again to see if it would produce better this time round.

My heart sank when I arrived- the wind was blowing pretty hard and the tide was still really low. Fish didn't seem to be following my lures and plastics weren't getting a touch. I moved round to the wharf while it was quiet and cast in to the shore with a hardbody. I could see little bream were following but not striking. After a few casts, bigger bream started to appear. Another cast and there was a whole bloody shoal of good-sized bream following the lure in! I slowed the retrieve right down to the point that the lure started to float back to the surface. To my surprise, the fish followed it up and just as it broke the surface, three bream all had a go at it at the same time! Unfortunately only one seemed hooked, but shook itself free almost immediately. Annoyed, I tried a few more casts, but the fish seemed to have spooked and moved off. :(

All in all, it was a weekend of a lot of running around for not much action. I wanted to go out this arvo again but the forecast says it's going to get windy. Getting a little tired of always hitting the same spots for the same species too, so next weekend I might try and scope out some new ground.

Thanks for reading,

Guest no one

No good bro, This weather been a bit shocking in the afternoon this weekend. The storms are currently interupting my viewing of the Cricket which is probably a good thing considering Englands performance.

To hit those bust ups buy some 40 and 60 gram slugs, about $5 each from the big super giant cheap stores and launch them into the middle, you should hook up instantly. I still think Bonnies and All "Tuna" Species are the best fighters... quality fight but not great eating, still for pure enjoyment get yourself in the mix, as Catch and Release they are top sport on light gear!