Rod Confusion

Guest MarkD

Hello fellow 'raiders,

I am currently looking at buying a couple of rods for heavier work to suit a couple of reels I've just bought.

During my rod research I've noticed quite a few rods purporting to be 15KG to 24KG. Now I'm no expert when it comes to game fishing terminologies etc however I find it strange that a rod can be rated to both 15 and 24?

Opinions would be great

Thanks

Mark

Mark, any rod you get will be able to sufficently haul a Port Jackson Shark of the bottom. So get whatever looks good with the nice flash new reels you have! :thumbup:

In all seriousness...Most rods will give you a range that they are suited to. To my way of thinking, the way they rate rods is a bit dissappointing. I have a few rods in the 10 Kg and the 15KG range. There is NO WAY you could fish 15KG line to full effect on the 15 KG rod! Ditto for the 10 KG.

If I have to make a judgement on what line class a particular rod will be, I will more often than not take the lower rating that the factory gives, and use that as the basis of how you set it up. Therfore, a rod rated at 10-15, I would fish as a 10!

Having said all that, there are some companies that rate their rods more realistically.

I guess its all going to depend on what application the rod will be thrown into! :biggrin2:

Mark, any rod you get will be able to sufficently haul a Port Jackson Shark of the bottom. So get whatever looks good with the nice flash new reels you have! :thumbup:

67894[/snapback]

smart arse :ranting2:

Just coz you only got one :074::074:

Thanks Bashir. Reckon I'll go with the Backbone rods as per your previous advice. They are very well priced :thumbup: