Public warning on portable butane ‘lunchbox’ cookers

mrsswordfisherman

Public warning on portable butane ‘lunchbox’ cookers

4 March 2015

NSW Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe is warning consumers not to buy portable butane ‘lunchbox’ type cookers due to

safety issues, including overheating.

“We recommend consumers do not buy portable cookers of this type,” Mr Stowe said.

“Compliance certification for all current models of ‘lunchbox’ type gas cookers has been suspended by the independent

safety certifiers and cookers of this type can no longer be sold lawfully in NSW.

“Up to 31 models of butane gas cookers have been withdrawn from sale as they do not meet Australian Standards. Retailers

in NSW should no longer be stocking or selling these products.

“Testing, undertaken at the request of NSW Fair Trading and other State gas regulators, has found a fault with the cookers’

shut-off valves, posing a risk that the devices may overheat and could explode.

“These cookers are lightweight and portable and are popular for use in camping and caravanning. They are inexpensive and

commonly sell for between $15 and $30.”

Mr Stowe said consumers who have purchased cookers should refrain from using them.

“If these products malfunction they can potentially cause serious injuries and I’d encourage people to stop using them,” he

said.

“The cookers should be disposed of in a safe manner, with the butane cylinders disposed of through an appropriate

community waste or recycling centre.

“Consumers who have purchased a non-compliant gas cooker and have proof of the purchase should return the product to

their retailer and seek a refund of the full purchase price as soon as possible.

“Fair Trading is continuing to work with retailers, manufacturers and other states to ensure products are removed from

shelves.

“I’d encourage consumers to notify NSW Fair Trading if they see any devices of this type being sold within stores or by NSW

retailers.”

For consumer safety information and advice visit the NSW Fair Trading website or phone the Call Centre on 13 32 20.

Affected product names and model numbers, as at March 2015 are:

Portable Butane Cookers (currently suspended)

Model name Model number

Home Essentials BDZ-168

Home Essentials BDZ-163S

Red Stone N/A

Bai Hui Portable Camping Stove N/A

My Collection N/A

Five Star MS-2000

Gasmate Plus MS-2000

Gasmate BC1080

Gasmaster BC1080

Jumbuck BC1080

Jackeroo BC1080

Excalibur BC1080

Unnamed model PC1070

Unnamed model PC2080

Unnamed model CM2200S

Unnamed model CM2250

Unnamed model OZ2160

Unnamed model CM2270

print | close

Public warning on portable butane ‘lunchbox’ cookers -... http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/About_us/New...

1 of 2 5/03/2015 12:19 PM

Unnamed model AD90

Adventuridge 509245

Companion COMP523

House Brand 509245

Kookaburra ST0990

Primus 2240

Primus 2271

Primus TLB-102L

Red Desert 509230

Spinifex 7027612

Spinifex 90024574

Jackeroo PL-121

Above: Lunchbox cooker

Back to Media releases

Top of page

Related information

Product safety for business

Gas safety

Safe electrical goods

Lodge a complaint

Last Updated: 5 March 2015

Page URL: http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/About_us/News_and_events/Media_releases/2015_media_releases

/20150304_public_warning_on_portable_butane.page

This information must not be relied on as legal advice. For more information about this topic, refer to the appropriate legislation.

© State of New South Wales through NSW Fair Trading.

You may freely copy, distribute, display or download this information with some important restrictions. See NSW Fair Trading’s copyright

policy at www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au

Public warning on portable butane ‘lunchbox’ cookers -... http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/About_us/New...

Could they not be retrofitted with a an upgraded shut off valve, or swapped out for a new one fitted with the same, for free by the manufacturer / retaile? I suppose the cost of retrofitting would be prohibitive, but an upgraded repalcement would be do-able. Pity, as reading through the reviews on these units, people seem to really treasure them at the price.

I'd be willing to pay more for one if i had to, for me it is the convenience more than the price. What else will i use to bbq snags on the deck of my 4.3m runabout? ☺

My portable gas cooker got buried at sea when it caught fire 40kms off port hacking. The worst part was the chicken kababs weren't completely cooked!!

We have since upgraded to a good quality 2 burner and a 2 kg gas

Should have sued to makers for the pain you suffered as a result of the hunger on that trip :)