New Leader Working

Ryder

Hi Raiders,

I'd been losing heaps of fish because of dodgy leader, it was tested and replaced.

Today I got to test it out for a short session.

The fish were there, but not taking the float all the way down. So I shortened 6 inches.

Next drift, good down, pulled the hook. Then another good down with no hookup.

Finally I got on to a fish, the leader held, and I played him out to the net. A fat high 30s fish.

I follow it up with 3 more, one undersized, which was immediately returned.

I failed set the hook on a few fish, I put it down to the hook size. I lost my last good hooks with all the broken leaders from the last few trips, and I only have hooks that are smaller than my usual.

It's nice to be back in business.

Ryder

post-33162-0-37281200-1425708634_thumb.jpg

It was a bad batch of FC Rock 6lb.

I run it from the swivel to the hook.

I wasnt using any lead on the leader, I rarely do maybe one shot above the hook if the current strong.

Although I don't have any science to back it up, I don't think fluorocarbon improves your catch rates for blackfish. The only time I've used it was a few years back after I started fishing for bream etc with lures and I was getting the line breaking at the knot went back to normal mono and problems ended.

Matt

Using mono has been suggested, I had the FC from casting plastics, so I've been using it.

I do run a 6 inch stretch of mono between swivels.

I have changed to using an alvey TCS, at first with Dango using the side cast. Twisted line became an issue.

Until I perfect the centrepin cast, I have been using braid, no twist but no stretch.

I was probably asking for trouble.

I have the same 6lb Sunline Rock FC - it was pretty brittle for me as well and I had a lot of issues tying knots with it to begin with. Maybe I was just used to cheaper 10lb stuff and it is the lightest FC I have, but the 10lb and 15lb ones I had a lot less trouble with. The 15lb black magic has probably been my favourite so far.

Yeah, braid floats well and some people prefer it, but I don't much see the point for blackfish when something like Dango is available. Sidecast is a nice idea and I used to use it on a blackfish special years ago when I got started on blackfish, but there really is no substitute for a good centrepin, but like you say, the casting can take a while to master. I cheat a little and use fairly heavy floats and cast directly off the spool, this is a good approach for me as I use the same floats for ocean or estuary, not everyones cup of tea, as many like to use really light estuary floats.

Matt