First Squid

adamski

Hiya folks,

Not exactly an exciting report, but got my first brace of squid today at a short morning session round Balmain. Should have had about 4 or 5, but lost my little 1.5 pink jig on the kelp and they weren't interested in the other more natural looking jig I had. Still, another string to the bow, I suppose...

post-33473-0-63776700-1425712374_thumb.jpg

Problem is, now I have no idea what to do with them- my only current useable reel is loaded with 3lb braid. Chop them up small and use them for bread and butter species, or set out bigger bits in the hope for a jewie/kingie?

Nice one. It's great to see. You are always trying new things.

Pink is my favourite colour jig. You are bound to lose a few.

I wouldn't be targeting Jew/Kings on 3lb, not to say you can't. Haha, ask Gianni.

Nice one. It's great to see. You are always trying new things.

Pink is my favourite colour jig. You are bound to lose a few.

I wouldn't be targeting Jew/Kings on 3lb, not to say you can't. Haha, ask Gianni.

great squid and haha Andrew, it's definitely possible but we fish for them in a boat on silly string so you either catch them in open water or on markers which you can drive away from

It's hard on that gear land based but still possible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well done Bro! Did you get inked?

Haha! Was waiting for that question... Nope, let them rest on the surface a wee bit first as I'd seen in the vids online to get them to spit, but it didn't seem to work- I ran round the back of them when I popped them up and they sprayed on the wharf. Tipped some water down afterwards to get rid of the mess, but I'm not sure it got rid of all the stains. Any extra tips for getting the little critters to ink on the surface?

I prefer to have them ink in my bucket, have always found having them ink in the water it spooks the others for a few minutes where as if you get them straight up and chuck your jig straight back your bound to get another one or two. Not sure if others have found the same - just my observation. Plus when It comes round to it - that ink is killer burley if there's some kings cruising around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If kingies are around, you're a surefire bet - but obviously not on 3lb.........when I catch squid at non-kingie times. I put them into a plastic sandwich bag - zero contact with fresh water - and freeze them. Have caught sharks and jewies off the beach with this.