black fishing rods

elferoz777

Hi

I need a new rod and I want to get one specific fir bkack fish.

Can anyone recommend a brand and model that will serve me well?

All the rods I have are solid and rip hooks out or break line.

Edited by elferoz777

I have a wilson 10ft6 and its great for the estuary.

For the rocks I use a Synderglass MT 4144. Its longer and stronger.

I also have a vintage Slazenger given to me by Luderick Angler, which I treasure.

The old Butterworth and Sportex rods are worth their weight in gold

Edited by Ryder

Any of those are pretty good. If you want a really cheap and cheerful then look at the Jarvis Walker range of Aurora rods, actually pretty good for the money (around 50-60 bucks). Added to the above, there is s a pretty good range made by Gary Howard. Also depends a little on whether you are using an egg beater or a centrepin as to which rod you select. Maybe even worth looking at the ISO rods, long telescopic, if you are using an egg beater. There is also a 10 foot ugly stik gold which does the job. So there are a couple of considerations,

1. Rocks or estuary, or something to cover both

2. which reel ?

3. Maybe even do you want something more of an allrounder for rock fishing etc.

Matt

Forgot to add that, if you can find one, the composite 12 foot rods are fantastic. Light and strong with the benefit of the light butt in carbon and the glass tip section, which will last on the rocks. Very hard to find these days. Also forgot to add that although people can choose whatever reel they prefer, I can't condone the use of an egg-beater :) Just joking really, use whatever makes you happy.

Matt

• 2 months later...

I love Alvey's but how about the old centre pin for blackfish - Avon Royal, I have had one for over 45 years and is still as smooth as day one.

You could start a new thread just for reels.

I'm chasing J W Young "Trudex" and Avon Royal Supreme on ebay UK. Those reels spin forever.

This is kinda stealing your thread but it is still on topic at least.

Does anyone know where they sell the Jarvis Walker Black Queen. I want a smaller blackfishing rod to use in the boat and i know they are cheap but having used one recently i was pretty happy with it.

Unfortunately I cant find anywhere that sells them.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ryder, that's a good idea, I have such a collection of old reels. All used by me as I don't collect them for the sake of it but the Avon Royals are fantastic - little did they think back in England where they would end up and catching blackfish rather than trout? Love the history of angling.

• 1 month later...