Thinking of living on the central coast is it worth it?

mike2153

Hey guys so basically me and the missus are thinking of buying out first house and since sydney is just out of the question with prices we are thinking the central coast.

Were looking to buy something for around $400k-$450k mark around Brisbane waters and surrounding areas.

The missus works in the city so she can just jump on a train and be at work within 1h 15mins if I'm not wrong?

Me on the other hand. I am a fitter/turner and would look for work up there but really don't have a clue as to how much work there actually is up there? So second option is to work in sydney at my current job which is in Smithfield. I can't imagine leaving the central coast at 6am there would be to muh traffic down the f3 and pennant hills rd? Am I mistaken? I can see coming home would be a big issue I finish work at 4-5 each day and I can see pennant hills rd would be a nightmare!

Does anyone make this commute? If so what can I expect?

I may even try and get a job up there on a commercial fishing boat as I have my ticket but again I really don't know how much work there would be and what the pay would be like.

What's the central coast like for work? Is there enty around for tradies?

Yes its worth it.We done it 20 yrs ago with no regrets.As for kings you can shoot over to Pittwater as its only a 10 min crossing in front of Lion Island, or change over to Jews and shoot down to Juno point.

I can't believe you said that!! Fighting a hoodlum is like a full session in the gym, fighting a Jew is like reeling a plastic bag caught in the current!

I think maybe I'll make the move a little further north and work in Newcastle?

Mate, we made the move up the coast in May last year. Best thing we've ever done. Im a tradie as well, and drive down to Hoxton Park every day and it takes me about 1.5 hrs each way. But im usually finished work and back up here by 3ish most days.

You get used to the drive. I prefer to leave home around 6:30 cause the M1 traffic any earlier than that is down right scary. I honestly dont know how there isnt a dozen accidents every day.

And yup, Pennant Hills rd is a nightmare but at least i dont feel like my day is gona end in a fire'y inferno!! ;)

As for the fishing. You cant go wrong with Brissy Waters in my opinion. And from in there you can get into Pittwater, or the Hawkesbury or pretty much wherever you wana go. I prefer to just stay in Brissy Waters myself, cause there's enough fish in there to keep me happy.

Plus im on Tuggerah Lake, so theres also that option.......

You'll find a house up here for pretty much any price range, you've just gota decide to do it and get it done.

Itll be the best decision you'll ever make.........

HI

I work in Bella Vista and drive down every morning.

I leave at about 5:20 and am in to work at about 6:30

There is a long queue up the hill to Kaiong

Pennat Hills is ok at that time. The M1 is pretty busy and a bit on the scary side.

No gap between the cars and 110km/hr. The was a six car nose to tail yesterday

Lot of traddies seem to be ont he road at that time. Not tried leaving later but another guys says

it is better, but then I guess Pennat hills road is worse.

I leave work just on three and get caught in the school traffic a bit but am home

around 4:20. The road works at the bottom of the Kaiong hill slow things down

but generally its ok.

Friday mornings coming in are usually good, but Fridays going home is a bit worse.

There are a few complaints about the trains but i find them pretty good when i have to go in.

If you catch the train from Woy WOy then sometimes you might not get a seat I've heard.

On the job front - pass. I'm in IT

Gosdford boat ramp is nice to use. Gets a bit weird on P/H when all the toothless ones

come out for a boat and a 9am stubbie!

Keep a rod in your car and if the traffic is bad coming home, pop off at brooklyn for an hour.

Don't travel down the M1 after 2pm on a Sunday

I moved to Narara about a year or more ago & work in IT in North Ryde. I get the train daily from Gosford which is alright except parking is joke. Trains are pretty reliable nowadays and it's not hard to get a seat.

We have two large production sites in Smithfield and Wetherill Park that I drive too now and then and it's easy enough providing you leave early.

The fishing in BW is a bit of hit and miss at times and it's a real challenge for a while due to how strong the current can get. Outside the fishing is good as long as you pass the 50mtr mark otherwise it's also a hit and miss because of the trawlers. No kingies in brisbane waters however as mentioned you can access pitt water in minutes. Also have direct access to a number of FADs (One is missing at the moment though) & the hawkes

I'm moving further north soon which will bring a new challenge of fishing Lake Mac.

For me the positives and negatives are as follows;

Positives:
- Lots of fishing options, Never ending really
- Fantastic beaches and rock platforms

- Some great boat ramps to choose from
- Cheaper then Sydney (For now)
- Growing community which comes with the usual perks of transport upgrades etc
- The feeling of living out of Sydney

Negatives
- Can be a pain to get to work
- Some areas are really dodgy at times
- House prices are going up (Home owners will see this as a positive)
- lack of large shopping centers apart from Erina & Tuggerah.

Edited by Central Coast 795

Where are you currently living in Sydney if you don't mind me asking?

I grew up in the Eastern suburbs and loved it as a kid . However Bondi is certainly not the same now.

I ended up settling down and buying a house out Parramatta way and seemed destined to live and work there. I missed the coastal life and didn't think I would ever get back. Just over 2 years ago I was lucky enough to win a position at Gosford.

I bought a house here that would have cost at least $200k more in Sydney. I am about 5 minutes to the beach and local boat ramp. Although I don't always use the local one. I am surrounded by greenery/mountains. Really, there is no comparison.

After a few weeks of moving here I realised I was living in a predominately Australian community. It was like stepping back in time to the 70s.

On the downside like others have mentioned there are some dodgy areas, high unemployment and the infastructure needs improving. Driving to Sydney is not ideal and the train is not much better but it's no worse than Sydney traffick. I have friends who spend an hour getting to work and are living in Sydney.

To me it's a no brainer, do your homework before you buy a house. Come up and check out the different areas cause some spots are absolutely beautiful and others are like mount druitt by the sea.

Awsome thanks guys, I'm actually thinking of coming up Saturday with the missus for a drive around and check out a few suburbs we might be looking at and have a drive around Brisbane waters etc. Then might even have a look further north towards Lake Macquarie as I will find work easily in Newcastle I reckon seems to be enty of industry there.

I ideally wouldn't want to drive every day to work in sydney but maybe I'll have to for a while while I find work up there.

I live in winston hills now which is in the hills area.

How long does it take you to drive to Smithfield or wetherill park of you go mate?

I haven't done it in awhile and if I do I just get work to put me up in a hotel haha however when I have done it in one day it usually takes an hour 45 there and roughly the same back.

All it takes is one accident though and you could be stuck for hours.

I'm moving to Blue Haven in a month or so. The area has some bad parts however has greatly improved over the years. It's close to Lake Maq and Newcastle.

Basically all the suburbs on the coast have there good parts and bad. You can usually tell whats what by driving around the streets on a Saturday night.

Good luck.

Here is an idea: Buy an investment property in Sydney and rent where you want to live in sydney. You claim the tax benefits of having an investment ppty. In time that will grow, you can then sell it and use that for your down payment on your next house or maybe you will buy another investment property instead!

Awsome thanks guys, I'm actually thinking of coming up Saturday with the missus for a drive around and check out a few suburbs we might be looking at and have a drive around Brisbane waters etc. Then might even have a look further north towards Lake Macquarie as I will find work easily in Newcastle I reckon seems to be enty of industry there.

I ideally wouldn't want to drive every day to work in sydney but maybe I'll have to for a while while I find work up there.

I live in winston hills now which is in the hills area.

How long does it take you to drive to Smithfield or wetherill park of you go mate?

I used to live next to you in Old Toongabbie and I can tell you life is so much better up here mate!!! There is no comparision!! Also, when it is 44 degrees in Winston Hills it is usually 10 or more degrees lower up hear due to the sea breeze!!! Come on up, drive around and you will fall in love with the place!!!

I can't believe you said that!! Fighting a hoodlum is like a full session in the gym, fighting a Jew is like reeling a plastic bag caught in the current!

I think maybe I'll make the move a little further north and work in Newcastle?

Obviously never taken on a 30kg Jewie on 10kg gear .

Yep plenty of good Jewie spots around Newcasle

Yea hard to able to afford a house and sydney and pay rent. What happens when there are no tenants in te house you could be paying over $1200 a week before bills etc.

Plus with the amount of foreign investors and people buying investment houses in sydney I'm starting to think the rent proces will soon struggle to pay for the morgage

Fuel prices are always a bit more too

The idea about renting out sydney and renting up here is a good one I think

if you can do it. Once you are out of the Sydney market, it will be hard getting back in.

Which is why Im happy where I am

30 mins to work

30mins to the beautiful St Coast Beaches

1.5hrs to the Central Coast when I want to go

All's good in the world

Hi mate, I lived in Umina from 1991 - 2002, F3 was more congested in those days prior to the widening (especially Friday nights). Over that time commuted on average 80km door to door = 160kms per day = 800kms per week. Had enough after 10 years to be honest. One question - do you have kids? Particularly small kids? You'll be leaving pretty early and getting home pretty late if you're both travelling to Sydney and back.

Spent my late teenage years up there and wasn't much to do in those days, not sure what it's like for teenagers these days. Train it if you can.

Marty

Don't forget that it only takes 40 mins from Gosford to Newcastle. Newcastle house prices are following Sydney at the moment quicker than Central Coast.

I have lived up here for about 12 years and commuted for about 4 of them now We rent a unit above our work and only travel Sunday night and back up Saturdays.

As for the waterways it has nearly all been said above EXCEPT NO Manly Ferrys :banana: or many big boats racing past to cause endless chopp :mad3: .

Woy Woy boat ramp is one of the most popular, excellent ramps average parking to many cars in the trailer parking. One ramp to steer clear of is Tascot as it is very weedy and small.

for us it was the best move

David