Sat 21/3 Shark Bay landbased

Jimbu

Drove to a landbased spot that I thought would be sheltered from the wind after work yesterday afternoon for a short session.

Arrived an hour after low tide and navigated across rocks that are well covered once the tide is nearing the top. Wading to about ankle-knee depth, the incoming tide made things a little more sketchy, and I did have a little slip that cut up my ankle. I was able to stand near the edge of a nice dropoff into a mixture of rock and kelp.

I had rigged a number 4 baitholder to 10 pound flouro and no weight. I had the drag set reasonably tight to prevent fish from reefing me in the rocky terrain. It was quiet for the first 5-10 minutes, but my berley seemed to do the trick, and sure enough, the line tightened up and I was onto a bream that looked close to legal. I gave the fish the benefit of the doubt and back it went.

The next cast drifted down again and once again I pulled tight to a decent fish... Turning out to be a crimson banded wrasse. I decided to keep it, being the first of the day and being curious to test the reports of them being decent on the plate.

A couple of more casts and I was on to something bigger again... A nice bream. It measured 31cm and I kept it for a feed.

Another fish soon followed and it gave a good account for itself. A nice fat black drummer around 34cm.

It was a hot bite, and I told myself "one more fish"... And sure enough, the next cast I was on to a good fish, which began to hightail towards Brisbane ... The drag sang... And sang... It wasn't stopping, the excitement building inside of me. Then it stopped. I wound it in, to find a fat 36cm bream which would be the last for the day.

Nice to have a decent session and looking forwards to the next.

post-34038-0-43146300-1426986871_thumb.jpg

post-34038-0-43729100-1426986907_thumb.jpg