Flat battery?

truK

Evening all,

Wife and I bought out first boat yesterday (2007 40hp yam 2str on a 4.4m 1980s quintrex runabout) - in our excitement this morning we went straight to apple tree bay, launch all went ok but when went to start - we got a couple of cranks then the battery was too flat to crank? Had to get the boat back on the trailer and drive home - both pretty disappointed we couldn't wet a line.

Was told the battery is 2 weeks old but I think over that time it's been started 4-5 times, accessories running but no real charging? We charged the battery at home for a few hours and then it started first go in the driveway. Planning on heading out again next weekend - hopefully goes ok.

This is our first boat so we are still learning - do you guys charge the boat batteries frequently or is using the boats every week or so usually enough?

Also I'm assuming we have to test start the motor at home before out fishing trips or were we just unlucky this morning?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Evening all,

Wife and I bought out first boat yesterday (2007 40hp yam 2str on a 4.4m 1980s quintrex runabout) - in our excitement this morning we went straight to apple tree bay, launch all went ok but when went to start - we got a couple of cranks then the battery was too flat to crank? Had to get the boat back on the trailer and drive home - both pretty disappointed we couldn't wet a line.

Was told the battery is 2 weeks old but I think over that time it's been started 4-5 times, accessories running but no real charging? We charged the battery at home for a few hours and then it started first go in the driveway. Planning on heading out again next weekend - hopefully goes ok.

This is our first boat so we are still learning - do you guys charge the boat batteries frequently or is using the boats every week or so usually enough?

Also I'm assuming we have to test start the motor at home before out fishing trips or were we just unlucky this morning?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Congratulations on your purchase.

Most outboards are able to be pull started also,Some have the pull start on the outside of the cowling,others need the cowling off .

You will find provision for a rope to be wound around the flywheel.

In both cases make sure your battery switch is on if fitted,making sure the safety lanyard is attached with the key in the on position.

If the battery is only 2 weeks old (sellers are known to tell fibs)there may be a parasitic draw somewhere in the system,or something may have accidentally been left on such as lights etc.(possible)

Check that all battery connections are clean and tight and all grounds are secure.

Make sure the electrolyte levels if applicable are full.

In regards to trickle chargers etc,I've never used one.

I start my boat up for 20min a week in a barrel if I'm not going out that week and go through the motions.

In over 20 years off boating I've never had a no start issue or breakdown out on the water thank god.

You may want to invest in a charger to make life easier for you.

All the best with your boat.

Cheers.

Edited by Fab1

I have 2 c-tek smart battery chargers. One for outboard battery, one for min kotta battery. I recharge both batteries 1-2 days before using the boat and then doing the same after. You can forget these and similar chargers connected forever and they will not damage the batteries at all. They even prolong lifespan of the battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm the same as hucho. Always give an overnight charge to both of my batteries a day or two before going out.

I generally start my boat the day before heading out. And again when I'm taking the straps off in the carpark.

Nothing worse than getting the boat into the water only to find she's slow or won't start.

Congrats on the new boat.

Edit

I should have said I also do an overnight charge every 3-4 weeks just to keep the batteries topped up.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

depends on the type of fishing you do and accessories fitted
if you start the engine 30 times and keep moving around it may flatten it if only short runs between spots

I ran 2 bilge pumps for bait 2 sounders lots of lights for bait in the morning vhf 27mhz all off a house or second battery and would have to top that up after every trip

charge them after getting back not before going out 3 months later

someone could have just left the ignition on for a day or so and flattened it

Edited by Juggs

So after 3-4 months of no use, battery can be fully discharged and damaged. Beauty of these smart or multi stage chargers is, that I can charge my batteries let's say once a week, or leave it on for whole winter and my batteries are always perfect.

On my boat which lives in the water, I have 3 x N70's 1 for each engine, and 1 for the generator, plus a bank of 4 x 6V batteries wired series and parallel to provide 12V for the house side. When the boat is not in use, all battery master switches off. 240V is plugged in from shore, and a 3 output charger is running.

The only item connected to the batteries, bypassing the isolation switch is the 2 bilge pumps.

This is normal for all on water boats and is the reason the batteries last.

On my previous trailer boat, 540 Sig, running N70 Start and N70 Deep Cycle for all accessories.

As others here have said I ran a C-Tek (plug for the business, naturally, Roadrunner supply these.) I was lucky with my home, in that the boat sat beside the garage. I mounted the C-Tek inside the garage, and run 12V Fig 8 wiring out through the garage wall, had a quick disconnect plug on the cable and the boat.

The connection to the batteries was the first thing I did once the boat was parked, and the first thing I disconnected when getting it ready to hook onto the car to go out.

The Charger was on the whole time the boat sat. My batteries were always charged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi

Another option is to purchase a decent quality solar charger.

My rig is a bit bigger than yours and runs duel batteries and that should give one a little more confidence and as such in my case complacency sets in, and we all know what happens then.

After replacing a couple of batteries. I thought I would use a good quality battery saver/charger and that would be the solution. I went out one morning to check the boat and how the charging was going only to find that the charger wiring loom was just a molten mess with little or no insulation left. I still don't understand how it didn't catch fire. As such I am not a big fan of leaving 240v trickle chargers connected 24/7'.That's just my opinion

I then started looking at solar chargers. I eventually ended up fitting two 20w regulated panels. A little over the top just to top up the batteries some might say but also it rams in a bit of juice when your out on the water . As long as there is daylight the batteries are charging . The regulators have led displays that tell you the charge condition of the battery in question and touch aluminum/ wood they have been working a treat for two years now.

Solar panels can be hard wired/mounted or portable. I'm not sure but the guys at Roadrunner may be able to help . I personally wouldn't go back to any other type of charger. And at the moment anyway there is no tax on sunshine.

post-34228-0-59693000-1427061239_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zacnoel

I hardly recharge my batteries, and I go out only 1 a month lately, and never have an issue. Seems that little bit I am doing is enough to charge the batteries.

I have a 12V solar panel, but didnt attacch it lately either. But I do have a Main battery switch, and once washed and flushed the boat, I put it in the OFF position.

I never charge my batteries as I am always out on the water.

I always start my motor at home before I go to the ramp. At least that way, hopefully you went forget your keys to the boat either :P

THis poor guy once brought down his brand new boat to Berowra from the blue mountains, went to start it... no key :D

I run a crank battery and a deep cycle in my 5m Quinnie. The crank charges from the outboard alternator but the deep cycle is standalone. The crank runs the bilge, lights, sounder/plotter and the bait well. The deep cycle just runs the Minn-Kota. More recently I fitted a DC-DC charger for the deep cycle.

My standard maintenance has been to charge the deep cycle after each trip on my CTek, and put both the deep cycle and the Crank on a CTek charge every 6 months minimum. Once a year I put each battery on a 'recond' cycle which is supposed to help with calcium buildup. This is probably bare minimum and others do similar at shorter frequencies. I also run my outboard a minimum of once a month regardless of whether I get out on the water or not. At best it keeps the outboard lubricated at worst I find I have a battery problem.

I recently lost a battery and realised afterward it was because I was not checking water levels. I now check and top up the water levels every 3 months. I also fully charge both batteries and check water levels before any big trips.

Regards, Tastee

Evening all,

Thanks heaps for the replies and advice.

It didn't occur to me that I could pull start the motor but will definitely look into that for future peace of mind!

I picked up a battery charger/tender so I'll just make sure I charge the battery before/after boating and then every now and again if the boat isn't used.

It's parked out the front of the house, so at least it's easy to hook up to a charger.

Thanks again!