3 Sessions in 3 Days

sebcox

Recently I found a landbased spot no more than a 4 minute drive from my house and after scoring my PB Sydney Bream there last week I decided to see whether it was a lucky catch or if the spot produces consistently.

Tuesday arrived about an hour before low tide and chucked the bait rod out with some peeled prawn and sat it in one of natures rod holders, amongst the oysters while i rigged up the plastics rod.

Not one second after i let go of the rod the tip starts bouncing around so I grab it and await the strike but by now my prawn is gone so I bring it back in, rebait, recast and sit it in the oysters and again it starts bouncing around as I go to rig a lure. Stupidly I repeated this process over and over for about 10 minutes before I realised they werent going to hook them selves.

Next cast I held the rod, struck on the right bite and man did the little rod load up. Little bit of manouvering through the rocks and oysters and i had a healthy looking bream (i didnt have anything to measure but assumed to be around the 32-33cm mark.

I was landing a bream off most casts now and all would have been legal, most around 30ish and some a little bigger.

The point of low tide came and the bream turned into whiting. Landed about 6 of these in 10 mins with none going close to legal.

After having enough fun with the whiting and keen to try get some on lures I tied a 4" minnow in pumpkinseed and started working that but it felt like it was just pulling through mud the whole way so I changed to a little Berkely 3B hardbody.

First cast about 3 twitches in the rod bent and I thought F#@$ there goes $15 to the oysters. I pulled the rod up and all of a sudden my oysters made a run for it. Drag coming off for around 10 seconds then turned the fish and started working it back to the shore. Few more runs after this and finally got it close enough to take a peek. A 70cm+ flatty touches the surface just long enough for my jaw to drop and enough time for him to decide he wanted out so off he went between a big cluster of oysters then 'pop!' busted off on the oysters. Was pretty bummed after this but was still great to see the spot holding big fish. Tied on another 3B hardbody that landed me 3 more flatties between 40-50ish cm then the mozzies came so I was gone.

Ended up with about 7 legal bream total and the flatties, all fish were released and sorry no photos, phone was dead flat.

Wednesday Only went down for about an hour starting on the low tide, very keen to get myself one of the big flatties.

Using a mullet my brother speared off cronulla that morning for bait it wasnt long for the bites to come but could only manage a couple of little bream and the dreaded pinkies for the first 40 minutes.

Thinking about leaving at this stage i chuck a nice big strip on then soon after hitting the water the rod goes tap tap tap then very gently loads up strong, I struck and insantly knew it was a decent fish. It took a nice first run then after a short fight I had it close. Another good flatty but not as big as the previous days. To land it I knew I had to beach it as it was gut hooked and i didnt want to try picking it up by 4lb leader not knowing how much damage the teeth had already done. There was a little gap between the rock i was on and the rock next to it so with some delicate guiding I got it through, and brought him up. She went 60cm and a Sydney PB for me, Biggest ever being 62cm in SWR when I was little.

Wasnt the fattest fish but was still stoked.

post-35940-0-88008700-1427419644_thumb.jpg

Thursday was just another quick one and with low tide being very close to dark (prime mozzie time) I fished the last hour of the run out with prawns. Nothing too exciting but every fish caught was legal. My dad told me I was crazy for not bringing any bream home for a feed the other day so I managed to bring him home 4 bream from this session ranging from 29-32cm.

post-35940-0-23984100-1427420041_thumb.jpg

Loving my new spot, so peaceful, great view, lots of fish and so convenient being so close to home. As much as I love it as a sport, fishing is my way of escaping everything, relaxing and taking in nature.

Some of you may be able to find this spot from the photo posted here but if you do go and fish it please take your rubbish with you as theres often rubbish scattered along the beach, (though judging by the makeshift bongs not all is from fisherman).

post-35940-0-12715600-1427420750_thumb.jpg

Tight lines! Seb

Congratz on the fish and finding a sweet spot close to home!

The photo of the view definitely looks familiar, I might hazard a guess through PM :) I've been chasing good flatties around Sydney for the last couple months with only minor success.

Yeah it's tom uglys in the background.

I've never used yabbies there but have done really well on cooked prawns, mullet and chicken. There are a lot of snags there but so far I haven't had much trouble with it. I don't throw out a cast as far as I can. I cast just past the rocks and bites are pretty consistent. I haven't done too well there on high tide but low tide has always been good especially after the turn

Found the spot today with a few mates seb, well atleast i think i found it, lots of bream and whiting, even picked up a really fat numbfish.... high tide is horrible but the low tide is pretty fun, lots of bites every cast! Let's hit it up soon :D