Thursday 26th Blue marlin

boattart

After some last minute crew changes I managed to get out with just 2 of us on board. After leaving Cronulla around 6.30 we did pretty well our standard pattern. Small lures from 25fm out to the northeast to 80fm where we switched to some bigger lures and then turn towards Browns but angled a bit to the north with a light norwester blowing. Water looked good and scattered bait. The water temp was slowly ticking up but not huge change and then in 145fm the big Koya on the left rigger got smashed. I gunned the boat to set the hook and a not so happy Blue Marlin went nuts and peeled 60kg line like it was nothing. By the time we cleared the deck he had around 600 metres out and was carving up the surface like only Blues do. We got the belly out and next thing he was at the boat and charged underneath and were lucky to get away and then he decided to go DEEP. straight up and down for nearly 2 hours on stand up 130lb gear and 30kg of drag did nothing it was a stalemate. Around the 3 hour mark I decided we had to change his attitude, brute force didn't work so we backed then drag back to near free spool and idled away to get some angle. this seemed to work and he started planning up. Just over 4 hours after hook up he popped to the surface belly up and dead unfortunately but now we needed to work out how to get him in with just 2 of us. Another hour and inch by inch we got him over the side and just before the cavalry arrived to help although they did still swim over to the boat for a look and to steal some beer from our esky. She eventually weighed in at 204kg and some very sore backs legs and hands this morning.

post-12518-0-36586900-1427427457_thumb.pngpost-12518-0-45859900-1427427441_thumb.jpg

Out of curiosity, are these a restricted fish (like, you are supposed to C&R them?)

Whats the go if they go belly up, do you just take it home and have marlin steaks or just toss it back over the side?

Out of curiosity, are these a restricted fish (like, you are supposed to C&R them?)

Whats the go if they go belly up, do you just take it home and have marlin steaks or just toss it back over the side?

In terms of legalities there is a bag limit of one fish per angler per day and that is per species ie blue, black and striped. My preference is to Tag and Release but sometime that's not possible.

We were fishing near Heatons and heard you on the radio, sounded like a epic effort to get that fish to the surface, was out of range so good to hear the outcome. Congratulations on getting it to the boat. Amazing fish