Good day on the harbour kingies

Sydneyfisher12

G'day raiders

Me and Gianni set out today targeting kingies post-33466-0-51371000-1427535851_thumb.jpg

First thing to do was collect some squid I quickly pulled one nice one slightly big tried for abit more in that spot for nothing headed over to a different spot and pulled a very good sized squid which was too big to be downrigger and my dad wanted to eat it.

We started downrigging around the western wedding cake it was very hard with a stronger wind than forecasted and boats anchored everywhere we were marking but nothing hit the squid.

We moved to the eastern wedding cake and tried there we could see the squid getting hot but not taken fully we pulled up only the hood of the squid. We also saw mike who told us where the kingies were biting. We were close to lady jane beach so decided to head over for another go at the squid Gianni quickly boated one still quite big and I got a perfect sized cuttle fish and headed over the marker mike suggested.

We arrived to only one other boat catching nothing we set the first squid and I went well up current of the marker sounded some good bait and then the rod buckled and I was on and I pulled up a legal at last a legal for me post-33466-0-53135400-1427535776_thumb.jpg

We set down the cuttle and up over the same marks the rod was bouncing around like crazy so I told Gianni to strike it and he was on it fought really well and it turned out to be two kingies hooked on the same snell rig! I netted them and one went 64cm and the other 66cm we were amazed to catch two kingies on one bait post-33466-0-62149200-1427534915_thumb.jpgpost-33466-0-41758600-1427534959_thumb.jpg post-33466-0-45986800-1427535015_thumb.jpg

We ran out of live bait so I decided to put down that hood form earlier and I hooked up instantly it was 63cm

Now we decided just to use lures Gianni hooked up on a nice 64 fish and then again one at 60cm.post-33466-0-71583000-1427535095_thumb.jpg

The bite went off so we moved away to try catch some squid we had no luck so went back and found others hooking up

Gianni hooked up on the plastic again but got reefed and I hooked up on a bit of squid and landed a 64cm

post-33466-0-01186000-1427535209_thumb.jpg fish and hooked up again on another 64cm fish post-33466-0-62593300-1427535339_thumb.jpg

we then started using SP's and I hooked up and landed a 63cm fish and Gianni got smoked again on a plastic post-33466-0-59383300-1427535463_thumb.jpg

The bite then went off and we headed home with two legal kingfish and a big squid

post-33466-0-56300900-1427535568_thumb.jpgpost-33466-0-02489300-1427535613_thumb.jpg

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Edited by Sydneyfisher12

Good work guys, that wind in the morning made it really hard to downrig.

That's a massive squid and that head would make a perfect bait for next time, looks like you've got a feast there.

Maybe you should order some tags from fisheries and start tagging them? You guys seem to be getting it more consistent in getting the kings well done.

So you got them where I told you I had just got them? A lot of time in the harbour if you fish away from where every other boat is it can really pay off.

Another great session guys.

You must hate the number 64, haha.

I reckon Mike2153 makes a good point, start tagging.

It would be interesting to see where they turn up next, and how fast they grow.

It will probably be you who recatches them.

Good work guys, that wind in the morning made it really hard to downrig.

That's a massive squid and that head would make a perfect bait for next time, looks like you've got a feast there.

Maybe you should order some tags from fisheries and start tagging them? You guys seem to be getting it more consistent in getting the kings well done.

So you got them where I told you I had just got them? A lot of time in the harbour if you fish away from where every other boat is it can really pay off.

Ye was that spot U told us, thanks very much mike, we were actually talking about how we should get some tags

Hopefully we can get a few

Not a problem at all mate glad to help out, good to see you guys land a few legals, it an be pretty hard in the harbour sorting through the rats.

If I see you guys out again I'll have to pop over and share info again. I love seeing people who actually respect the fish getting into them. Enjoy for the sport not for taking as many home as you can.

Call fisheries you'll find there number on there website just look up the tagging program on there site and in pretty sure it gives you a phone number to contact, they sent me a tag kit and I had it within 2-3 days from memory, I'm out tomorrow to try and pop some more tags in the fish.