Overnight - Balmoral/Newport - 29/3

SgtBundy

Having an itch to have another go for jewies and not seeing a good window for a while I decided to try on this mornings 4am high tide with a overnight session.

First stop was Balmoral about 11:30pm to go for some live bait. The yakkas were uncooperative until around 1am when I started getting some taps but they were pretty sparse. By 2am I had 4 and then a chopper tailor got on and bit off the hook, of which the spares were in the car. I figured it wasnt worth the trip given how slow they had been so I turned my hand to trying for squid. Nothing the larger pink jig but I wasnt sure if that was me, where I was trying on the squid. I tried a smaller blue jig and on the second cast got a tap - I thought it missed so I let it pause but then got weight. My very first squid on a jig.

945df20a2c454b0fa72cf48772d9355a.jpg

Tried a little longer but got nothing more and it was near 3am I wanted to make tracks to newport to setup before the high tide. As I was departing a lovely young blonde lass decided it was time to throw off her dress and go for a swim. The scenary that goes with fishing...

Got to newport around 3:30 and had no idea what the beach was doing gutter wise so I just picked a new spot on the south end of the beach. My live squid was by this time not very live, so I put it out first with a ganged pilchard on my other rod. Soon enough both became entwined to the point I had to cut the braid to clear the mess but saved both rigs. I put the now dead squid on the smaller rod and sent out a yakka on the big rod.

Soon enough I got a big hit on the squid which hung on for a short run and a big splash and dropped, 50lb leader bit off between the snelled hooks. I think it was a small whaler, although another fisho claimed makos were about.

I got a few other good hits on the yakkas - one came back in two. The last one got a big take, I struck but it dropped quick. When pulled in it was clearly menaced and damaged but not bitten - the other fisho reckoned it looked like it was spat out.

I put out various yakka fillets up until sunrise but got nothing but pickers except for what might have been a salmon or big tailor that smashed one fillet as I was retrieving to check it. Saw it in the wave but it shook free.

With morning light well on I tested out a new xrap cast lure but no takes. Packed up just before 7.

I3c7c1dba2b8af47d4ec40f52ca865c8c.jpg

Went and threw some SPs around narrabeen lagoon for a while just to squeeze in what I could before I headed home but nothing of note.

That jewie is getting closer.... [emoji1]

Well, I know I can get yakkas at Balmoral but I have had no success using them there. Newport has been fairly successful for me off the beach and I know people occasionally pull good jewies from there. I have tried a similar thing before at Colloroy but all I ended up doing was feeding carpet sharks. Maybe I won't try so hard once I crack that first one.

Mind you the overnight stints are a bit too much, but if I go day fishing on the weekends I get in the bad books for not doing a family thing (as the family does not want to do fishing), so I figure doing it while they sleep is about as time efficient as I can be. Running on red bull and sugar at the moment though

I just came back at looking for some more jigs actually :) Now that I have broken the voodoo of getting them I hope to make them a more regular feature of my fishing.

The little choppers were around at Balmoral, and I think some of the hits at the beach were good size tailor with the way the baits were hit and chomped up - in one cast they missed the hook by a bare millimeters, and the other they bit me off.

Oh, the ones that had a new name for the noise my aerator was making :) You guys were certainly having a good night of it. Any luck after I left?

haha that was us.

as the tide hit its peak we got hammered by heaps of tailor. lost alot of rigs to the bastards but i managed a nice 30cm odd model who went back.

next time going to do narrabeen lagoon so i can pretty much guarantee fish that will keep everyone happy.

will have to say hello next time i see you.

Hey bundy try give the spit bridge ago its alot closer than newport from balmoral and u get some monster jew around there

I have had a few goes in the past but never really got much more than the odd tailor, and that was a rare hit - that was from the south side though, from what I read the north side seems more the place to be. The trip up to newport was more just based on knowing the beach and having some luck there, it was probably a bit too much mucking around in hindsight.

haha that was us.

as the tide hit its peak we got hammered by heaps of tailor. lost alot of rigs to the bastards but i managed a nice 30cm odd model who went back.

next time going to do narrabeen lagoon so i can pretty much guarantee fish that will keep everyone happy.

will have to say hello next time i see you.

Sure - I have always wondered if I was fishing next to a fellow raider without knowing it - we need some sort of secret handshake or something.

Hey bundy try give the spit bridge ago its alot closer than newport from balmoral and u get some monster jew around there

Really! I catch schoolies in MH a lot and the only monster in that area that I have heard about came from the western side of the bridge in among the mooring in 90 feet. Nice fish too, would have been on 30lb. There was another in front of Pickering Point about 10 years abo caught by a Seaforth resident in her Tinny no far from her house!. That one was around 20lb.

Interested in any info regarding others that had been caught in the area? The MH Jewies are a magnificent colour!!

One of my mates lost a nice jew in the wash last friday night, wont tell you what beach because i plan on fishing it Sat arvo and into the night . ive been planning this trip for a while(even though i only live 5 mins away)... Have you tried Newport wharf or Taylors Point wharf for yakkas?

No, have not had any chance to go exploring non-beach locations on the peninsula - usually I have limited windows for doing an outing so I tend to just focus on hitting a spot I know I can get to. I have had some locations PM'd to me so I might go do some exploring when I get a chance.