Pier 2 - 27/03/2015

roughstyler

A couple of mates and I headed up to Pier 2 last Friday, and while not a whole lot was caught, I really wanted to ask you guys about what happened.

We arrived at around 1:00 PM, and no one landed anything for a few hours besides a single Diamond Fish. I was going for Yakkas to send out as live-bait, and I think my mates were going for anything that took their bait. We sort of took a break for a little while until we saw a lady pulling up Yakka after Yakka, which was when we decided to get up and join her. My mate landed one pretty soon after and I was really excited to send it out.

At about 6:30 PM, something jumped on. This was the first time I've ever been hooked onto a big fish. I'll try and upload the video later (my mate hasn't sent it over yet), but for now I'll just have to explain what happened as best as I can. The fish (I assume was a King) was taking a bunch of line, and fast, and this is where my inexperience shined through. Someone on this board recently told me that the more gentle you are with Kings, the more gentle they'll be with you, and I'd also read many others saying that same thing, so I've always kept that in mind ever since. The fish was running out to open water, but was also sort of heading in the direction of the pylons (plus it went over a bunch of people's lines), and so I was unsure of what to do. I did want to be gentle with the fish, but it felt like my winding was redundant, as so much line was being taken, and so I tightened the drag a bit. The whole time I was worried that if I tightened the drag, the fish would head toward the pylons, but it seemed like it was almost going there anyway, so I made the decision.

Eventually, it got to the pylons and broke my leader. Although I'd just lost a fish, I was beyond stoked. It was such a surreal experience. However, now that I've been thinking about it, I'm quite gutted about what happened. I keep thinking that it was a lack of technique/experience that lost the fish. I'd feel a lot better if I found out that I probably would've lost the fish regardless of how I handled it, but I'll probably never know.

It's important to note that most people at Pier 2 completely overkill their set-up and so they just lock their drags and pull the fish in with sheer force. I don't have that option, nor would I want to do what they do anyway. My mainline is 30 pounds and the leader is 50, so I'm not sure how to steer the fish away from the structure, but maybe that's just about getting lucky.

At this point, I still don't know if I should've left the drag as it was, or tightened it even more. I don't remember the rod loading up a lot, so I think that I could've gone with a tighter drag (but then again, I was probably too excited to notice). I'm sure the video will make it a lot clearer, and I'll try to upload it as soon as get it.

Can I get any advice on what to do in the future? My winding was probably of poor technique too. At one point I was trying to do what I see done quite a lot, where the rod is pulled up, then it moves back down while winding quite fast, but I don't know if I was doing it correctly, or if it is what I should've done in that situation. I know different techniques and drag settings are adjusted toward a specific situation, and there's not one all-purpose drag setting or technique for every scenario, but maybe I can get some help with knowing when to do what. Or maybe it's just a matter of learning through experience.

Edited by roughstyler

I think in open water you can play the fish (assuming king) a lot better. When structure comes into play, you are forced to lock the drag up and put a bit of hurt on or you will lose the fish. It can sometimes be a catch 22 but I would have used a tighter drag. Your set up of 30/50lb is great and would land most kings but then there is that occasional hoodie that a steel cable wouldn't stop in that situation. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll be reporting that king soon enough!

Cheers scratchie!!!

dude 50 pound leader is more than enough to skull drag any kingy out of there, lock up your drag and pump and wnd as hard as possible, follow the fish as well dont stay rooted to one position. Angle your rod to steer the fish away from the pylons. Going light on a big kingfish fish only applies when using less than 10lb imo

Yeah agree with the comments, just gotta lock it up and hope for the best. Got done by an unstoppable last week but more often than not you will be able to get em in even if it's not pretty. Good way to get the adrenalin going at least!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers guys. I guess I'll know what to do next time. It's really disappointing that I could've potentially landed the fish, but messed up because I didn't know how to handle it. I really wanted to follow the fish but my line went over so many people's and it would've been an absolute mess of tangles, so I wasn't able to move too far.

Next time I may be fishing in fairly open water (Birchgrove Wharf). Should I go a bit easy on the drag in that case?

what people have said is right in a spot like that you really do need to lock up your drag and give the fish no chance. if somebody hooks a good fish everyone should move there line i would keep fishing there if your hooking fish keep persisting and eventually you'll land one

cheers sydneyfisher12

Winding while the fish is running isn't going to achieve much. If you are using a threadline reel, you are just twisting the line.

If you had your drag up higher, the fish would tire and stop running.

That's when the fight starts. Pull up on the rod and wind down to the fish and repeat, Pump and wind. Keep that bend in the rod.

As you said, so many people go overboard with leader and mainline there, I've heard of people using 200lb, when (if) they eventually do get a bite sure they can just drag it in, but guarantee you'll get 10:1 more bites with your rig. You always need a bit of luck with a fish like that, just keep at it.

You can put a fair bit of hurt on a fish with a 50/30lb set up... Provided it's a solid hookup, which it usually is with live baiting as the predator will take it with a fair bit of haste.

That 2 minutes of excitement is what keeps us going back for more!

I'm sure you'll be closer to landing it next time!

Cheers,

M

When your onto a big fish if other anglers are not moving of there own fruition ask them to look out as you come across, you may need to do some under/over maneuvering but most people will respond if they know where you want to move. I fish the rocks with "light" gear (20lb) and the constantly go to the shelf, once they get there I ease my pressure and just "hold" the fish that way I'm not pulling my line across the snag under high pressure (less likely to break) and wait it out until it turns back to open water. Mind fish cant swim around rock shelves...

Yeah, I think it was tricky cause it went under and over a few people's lines. I think they would've been happy to move, but I was too caught up in the excitement to properly think about how to go about it. Inevitably, I'm gutted now knowing that I lost it through poor technique, but I can't wait to head back.

It's probably really difficult to tell based off a video, and I know hook placement also affects how hard a fish pulls, but does anyone have some sort of idea as to what size that King would've been?

Also, off-topic. Has anybody had some success with Kings at Birchgrove Wharf (at the end of Louisa Rd)? I think I'll be heading there soon to have a shot at getting my first King, and I much prefer the area to Pier 2.

Bad luck on the king mate,I used to live bait kings off a jetty i found the best chance was pre set drag around thirty per cent of main line and let it run they always seem to head to open water.When the run slows tighten up a bit and slow deliberate pump and wind.When fish in site lock up take a long grip on the rod and try absorb the lunges as they search for the pylons.I found after many bust ups we started to land them in this fashion luck plays a big part as will every one giving you room to dance the kingy along the jetty.All great fun hope you get one soon.Also if no live bait available berley sparingly with large fresh prawns hole and sink a circle hook in one and float it down with them.

Cheers for the great advice! How do I know when the drag is set to about 30% of the line's strength? I have a Baitrunner reel, so I can leave it open when the fish jumps on and takes off, then switch over to the pre-set drag.

Don't think Baitrunners were designed for live baiting fish that try to pylon you in mind. I've got a baitrunner used it off the rocks and been reefed on locked drag. But i reckon...if your bringing in the weight of the fish and the drag is still clicking then its way too light...

Yeah, I've read that a few times (after I'd made the purchase). I'm not very experienced and bought what I could at the time, not knowing what would be the most ideal. There are so many mixed opinions too, which makes knowing what to do as a beginner all the more difficult.

I have been eyeing off the spinfisher SSV liveliners for this and heard good things about them, but mixed about some others that dont quite have the drag or build for heavier fights. That said I am yet to use one one but I can see the advantages

Interesting. I have also read the same thing. There are some that say don't touch anything other than Shimano for bait-runner sort of stuff. I, of course, don't have enough experience as of yet to offer an informed opinion about them.

Mate

The one thing you need to remember is sometimes the fish are just too good for you. A well known charter operator from Cairns and I once lost 24 Kingies between us in just under 4hrs on a trip to Lord Howe several years ago.

There wasn't a damn thing we could do about it we had all the right gear, but the fish were just to good. We did manage to get a few to the boat but not as many as we lost