Gloves for handling flatties

daniel944

Managed to snag an extra day off on Thursday so after doing house hold duties in the morning I headed out for a few hours down to the Georges between Picnic Point and Lugarno. Managed to get 6 fish in the boat, two bream two tailor and two flatties all on hardbodies and plastics. Both flatties were around 400 long so they came home for dinner, but my last fish, a flattie, deceided to extract revenge and stabbed me in the thumb while I tried to rescue him from my battery box (squirmy little bugger!) and it still hurts this morning! Now I know im a woss but what can I say!

I noticed on a fishing show last night the host was wearing a cloth glove when handeling flatties but it looked like the spike would go straight through. Anyone got some suggestions for a gloce that is a bit more robust??

Cheers

I normally just use a wet terry towelling hand towel.

Otherwise I slip a wet rubberised Kevlar glove on,also used wet.

Check the big hardware they will have them.

This is the type of glove you want.

Cheers.post-20199-0-96193300-1428122364_thumb.jpg

I use a lightweight leather palmed gardening glove (cloth upper, leather palm and fingers). They won't stop a full blooded stab but ward off most else. Anything heavier is too rigid and cumbersome. The Kevlar gloves above look good though - I am currently using a similar pair in the garden so may try them in the boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest 4myson

I wouldn't say your a wuss , I got spiked on my right hand back in October while fishing a charter in Qld by a 62 cm flatty and I don't know if it's spikes broke off in my finger cause it's still sore to this day !!!!

Edited by 4myson

Thanks fells, those kevlar gloves look the go, might see if I can get a pair

4myson, might want to get that looked at, mine went in fairly deep and bled quite a lot but now 48 hours later only hurts if I press on it. I do understand that they have a mild toxin that they inject??

As I understand it its a anticoagulant so it will bleed and hurt but thats it. I have a blood mark on a thumb from about 5 months ago where a flattie spiked my thumbnail.

I have a cheap car chamois that I use for handling. Just wet it to handle the fish and squeeze out and fold up when done. Its cheap, the soft wet surface is good for the fish and its easy to have handy. Saves pulling gloves on and off.

They would have to be some fairly stiff or thick gloves to stop the flatty spike going through.

I use a towel rag thrown over them then pick them up. The rag gives you good grip to hold on. You could use gloves to get a good grip as well but I don't know about stopping the spike. Just be careful and squeeze tight so they don't flap around and get you.