Need Help For Dream Trip

bombora

Hiya all; pleading for some help for some outfits for a dream trip I'm going to in december. It's primarily a surf adventure in the Tuomotu Islands about 1000 kays east of Tahiti. Anyway a guy going on the trip just got back from the same area on an exploratory trip (yes hye's a chashed up dude). He ain't fisho but sent me some pix of what they (no one on board was a fisho!) caught; included a sailfish at least eight feet long _ a masive sail it was, YFTs to 40kg, and a trio of Dollies each of which was about 10-12kg.

SO I need help with a few outfits that could handle what's a frontier place with BIG critters.

Have decided on a Saltist 30 reel with 40-50lb braid for general stuff but what rod? Hey Bash you mentioned one at 99 bucks in another post? Looked at the trigger dripped heavy Berkley rod (?) part of their dropshot range and also only 99 bucks but was warned they break.

Any other ideas for a chep but gutsy rod (Saltist also very small like the Avet in another post).

Also anyone got any ideas for a cheap-ish medium heavy spin outfit. Most of my dosh going on some new boards for the trip so have not got masses of money to spend. Two piece _ or under 6 to 6'6" ft rods _ needed cause of light plane restrictions.

PS Bash I think I read another site where you went with a Shimano after looking at the Saltist _ can I ask what swayed you. Cheers Bombie

Bomie, I read too many negative reports on the saltists on the american tackle forums, so looked at a shimano torium instead. Those pioneer rods are a bit on the light side of things when it comes to jig rods, but I'm sure there are some heavier models in the range. They look like a $600 rod, white blank with sic guides, bright blue grips :drool:

Bommie, i was in the same predicament as you. Going on my dream trip to Lizard Island in just a few days, marlin tackle aside, i'm only allowed to take one rod. And the rod chosen was a 37kg T-Curve Jig Rod and a Big Thunnus loaded with 65lb braid. :thumbup:

This sort of outfit was used by some mates just recently and they nailed 60kg Doggies, Sails, big Wahoo, GT's, a marlin around 180kg, YFT amongst other things :1yikes:

The best bit about this outfit is the fact that it's so versatile and not overly expensive. It can be used to cast big poppers, deep jig, live bait, troll and even bash the bottom. Can't wait to give mine a right flogging :biggrin2:

Good luck

Red

Thanks Red! Mate I think you may have swayed my mind; the boat I'll be on has game gear so I may ditch the overhead idea, and instead put together a mega-heavy spinning outfit as generl duties beastie rod and then I can also slip in the 2-3kg spinning gear for the bonefish which allegedly inhabit the atoll flats :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.

Thanks Bombie