Palm Beach - 6/4/15 - first king

SgtBundy

Had no plans for monday and the wife insisted that it was to be a sleep in day so I was not to so anything like set an alarm to go fishing early. As it happened the kids had me up at 6am so I took the opportunity to duck out for the morning.

I wanted to try for live squid again so headed for Palm beach ferry wharf as had been suggested to me and got there just after 7. Fairly quickly I was on to what I think was a small cuttlefish (short tenticles, fist size oval shape not arrow). Cranky little bugger inked everywhere. As I got him in the bucket I then noticed the no fishing signs. Having seen council rangers out early that way before I moved off the wharf and tried from the bank but with no luck.

After 8 I moved over near the ocean pool on palm beach and setup on the rocks. At that stage it was calm and seemed safe enough. I went to use the cuttlefish and he wanted no part of it so I started tipping the bucket water out to get to him. Of course I went too far and he slipped out of the bucket, down the rocks and off in the wash, followed by some choice words about the hour I wasted getting him.

I had the float rig ready anyway so turned to some twice defrosted piclhards instead sending them out under the float just past the rock wash. Second cast in the float went under with a light run which was easily brought in. At first I saw red and thought it was a squid but got it up to be what I think was a Sargent Baker.

99520e250e490965e80c00e2e74c26c6.jpg

Sent it back and setup another pilchard this time more towards the ocean side. I saw the slack line pick up, start running and the float started running. I gave it a moment and then struck and was on to something solid. It took a run then came in for the ledge in front of me. I am pretty sure I had line on the ledge and in the excitement I just muscled it up and over and with the next wave had it in front of me where I could see the distinct colour and shape of a kingfish. Poor bugger was hooked in the eye which maybe explained the easy fight (it was on solid gear though). He was only 50cm so was sent back, but it was my first rat.

63666b13c8b1cd165123fa0bf1eb344c.jpg

The pilchards ran out not long after (I only had half a back intended for catching yakkas). This was about top of the tide and at this point the waves started surging up on me and some of the breaks were drenching me so I was getting a little concerned, but decided to stay a little longer and try some lures. I put on my new rapala xxxrap cast and started some fast retrieves in case kings were still about. About 5 minutes in I heard that fatal ping noise as my leader snapped and I watched my somewhat expensive lure sail off towards barrenjoey... more choice words. That did it, packed up around 10:30.

Moved to Narrabeen lagoon to prospect with some SPs (I didnt fancy paying for more parking at Palm) but 2 hours of casts without so much as a tap. Called it a day and headed home.

Nice work on the first kingie. Too bad about the size, but it's always great to catch a new species.

As for the catch and release cuttlefish, sorry.

Maybe consider getting one of those small nets people use for fish tanks. It will work for squid and yakkas.

Congrats mate

Always nice to get your first kingy

And with cuttlefish... They ink A LOT

U hook them, they ink, put them in the bucket, they ink every 10 seconds, u try grab them to rig them, take a guess what they do... They also try get your finger and bite u

But again, nice fish

Cheers Gianni

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well done great effort again and good read up sarge. Only wish I could write out such an informative and pleasant reading post as u do. Well done on catching the kingy, havnt yet caught a kingy off the rocks or even caught that many at all. Love reading your posts cause seems to be all the same areas I fish at and makes me want to get out have a crack as well. Keep em coming bro looking forward to reading your next post

Thanks guys - I sometimes wonder if my frequent yet low scoring posts are worth doing, or if I should just save it up for when I actually have something interesting. I always find its good though if I write it up as is because sometimes that elicits advice that proves useful.

SgtBundy, congrats on the first king mate. I'm yet to have that experience but hope it isn't too far away.

I fished Palm Beach wharf on Friday night with the missus. Not much fish wise, but got onto 5 squid pretty damn quickly. Saved 3 for bait (which didn't do shit in the harbour over the weekend) and cooked 2 up.

We are looking to do a solid session at Narrabeen Lagoon this Friday night hoping for a Jewie or big Flattie. If your around come say hi.

Had no plans for monday and the wife insisted that it was to be a sleep in day so I was not to so anything like set an alarm to go fishing early. As it happened the kids had me up at 6am so I took the opportunity to duck out for the morning.

I wanted to try for live squid again so headed for Palm beach ferry wharf as had been suggested to me and got there just after 7. Fairly quickly I was on to what I think was a small cuttlefish (short tenticles, fist size oval shape not arrow). Cranky little bugger inked everywhere. As I got him in the bucket I then noticed the no fishing signs. Having seen council rangers out early that way before I moved off the wharf and tried from the bank but with no luck.

After 8 I moved over near the ocean pool on palm beach and setup on the rocks. At that stage it was calm and seemed safe enough. I went to use the cuttlefish and he wanted no part of it so I started tipping the bucket water out to get to him. Of course I went too far and he slipped out of the bucket, down the rocks and off in the wash, followed by some choice words about the hour I wasted getting him.

I had the float rig ready anyway so turned to some twice defrosted piclhards instead sending them out under the float just past the rock wash. Second cast in the float went under with a light run which was easily brought in. At first I saw red and thought it was a squid but got it up to be what I think was a Sargent Baker.

99520e250e490965e80c00e2e74c26c6.jpg

Sent it back and setup another pilchard this time more towards the ocean side. I saw the slack line pick up, start running and the float started running. I gave it a moment and then struck and was on to something solid. It took a run then came in for the ledge in front of me. I am pretty sure I had line on the ledge and in the excitement I just muscled it up and over and with the next wave had it in front of me where I could see the distinct colour and shape of a kingfish. Poor bugger was hooked in the eye which maybe explained the easy fight (it was on solid gear though). He was only 50cm so was sent back, but it was my first rat.

63666b13c8b1cd165123fa0bf1eb344c.jpg

The pilchards ran out not long after (I only had half a back intended for catching yakkas). This was about top of the tide and at this point the waves started surging up on me and some of the breaks were drenching me so I was getting a little concerned, but decided to stay a little longer and try some lures. I put on my new rapala xxxrap cast and started some fast retrieves in case kings were still about. About 5 minutes in I heard that fatal ping noise as my leader snapped and I watched my somewhat expensive lure sail off towards barrenjoey... more choice words. That did it, packed up around 10:30.

Moved to Narrabeen lagoon to prospect with some SPs (I didnt fancy paying for more parking at Palm) but 2 hours of casts without so much as a tap. Called it a day and headed home.

Nice little rat king you caught. How much is the hourly parking at Palm Beach?

Edited by Novicefisherman

Nice little rat king you caught. How much is the hourly parking at Palm Beach?

About $4 an hour I think from memory. The place was pretty packed that morning actually.

SgtBundy, congrats on the first king mate. I'm yet to have that experience but hope it isn't too far away.

I fished Palm Beach wharf on Friday night with the missus. Not much fish wise, but got onto 5 squid pretty damn quickly. Saved 3 for bait (which didn't do shit in the harbour over the weekend) and cooked 2 up.

We are looking to do a solid session at Narrabeen Lagoon this Friday night hoping for a Jewie or big Flattie. If your around come say hi.

I might be doing a night session this week to gather some bait, but my boys want to tag along (they think I can just go out and get another kingy, and they want to help by looking after the livies) so I might go to Balmoral.

Any issues with the no fishing signs at Palm Beach wharf, or are they only new?

It was just a foam turnip float with a stopper on my braid, swivel, about 4-5ft of 50lb leader and a pair of snelled 4/0 hooks. I had a small sinker on the leader to help put it under. The pillie was just hooked tail up as best I could, but they were pretty soft and I lost a few just casting. I prefer ganged hooks for pillies but I was planning on squid with this rig.

Yeah, as if land based isn't difficult enough in Sydney they come up with excuses about potential law suits.

"Kicking kids off the wharfs"

Man, you would think today that the last thing they would want to discourage was a wholesome activity for our kids.

Yeh same either use pillie with gang hook under a float or 2 hooks with the top hook running free. Usually have another rod out for a bottom bash.

Wanna try get out this arvo for a fish. Wind and weather been pretty crappy over the weekend tho and meant to be crappy till the weekend prob won't stop me getting out and having a go.

I've also started catching squid recently and using it for bait trying to catch a jewie off palm beach with no success. Hooked on to something really big wich took me for a ride up and down the beach till it busted me off, thinking mayb was big shark with the big tail kicks.

Been trying to catch squid latley and had some success at palmy wharf and around watsons bay. Gets so addictive catching squid especially when u first start catching em. Only started catchin squid this year with sum success.

Il definatley be dedicating some time during the colder months just chasing squid or should I say il be egging a lot more these coming months ;)

About $4 an hour I think from memory. The place was pretty packed that morning actually.

I might be doing a night session this week to gather some bait, but my boys want to tag along (they think I can just go out and get another kingy, and they want to help by looking after the livies) so I might go to Balmoral.

Any issues with the no fishing signs at Palm Beach wharf, or are they only new?

Yeh the council made the decision to not allow fishing a few years ago. But i have fished there a million times since and never been caught. And if a ranger does come, i will just play dumb and leave.

But having fished some of the ferry wharves in the harbour over the past couple of weeks, they all have signs encouraging fishing. Yes the signs have some rules, but all the wharves have been spotless which is a good sign. Not to mention provide cover when it pisses down.

As for your livies, go to Mosman Ferry Wharf. They are there in plague proportions. Both yakkas and tailor. Will be much easier for you than Balmoral.

Yeh the council made the decision to not allow fishing a few years ago. But i have fished there a million times since and never been caught. And if a ranger does come, i will just play dumb and leave.

But having fished some of the ferry wharves in the harbour over the past couple of weeks, they all have signs encouraging fishing. Yes the signs have some rules, but all the wharves have been spotless which is a good sign. Not to mention provide cover when it pisses down.

As for your livies, go to Mosman Ferry Wharf. They are there in plague proportions. Both yakkas and tailor. Will be much easier for you than Balmoral.

Thanks - will check that one out.