Sydney Harbour - 6th April

mredgy

More success today. Took the 7 year old out at dawn and headed for the harbour. Tried a bit around middle head but no luck, moved up to the weeding cake, but still no luck. Beautiful day anyway so we cruised around a bit and Maritime went over our gear before giving us the all clear.

Headed back to Sow and Pigs about 10am, and on the harbour side we anchored and started throwing out towards the reef. My daughter caught a sweep, then an eel tangled up on a line. At least some action. Pulled in some rock cod and other rubbish, but she seemed happy now to be catching something.

Suddenly livies all around, but be damned if we couldn't catch more than 1. I used to remember these suckers eating anything small and shiny (we used tiny bits of pillie / squid / prawn on tiny hooks). I could see some big kings under them messing them up so maybe they were too scared to eat.

Put the 1 livie out and in under 5 mins BANG, the line started squeeling like mad. Fought the fish for about 5 mins, but he snapped me off. Was a nice adrenaline rush though, and my daughter is hooked, and I feel it all coming back.

Headed back to the Roseville ramp about midday, and boy was it packed. I have never seen so many people trying to use the ramp at once before, but everyone was nice and civil, and it flowed well.

I feel the fishing bug coming back, but will need to get better prepared (include NOT driving off with burley bucket in water and losing it, and remembering the bread).

What do you guys use to catch livies yellowtail? I couldn't get them to hit.

Also what is this?

post-869-0-03582300-1428815587_thumb.jpg

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
picture cropped - obliteration of person's face

Ah nothing like spending time with family :-)

Try a bait jig with abit of squid or prawn next time for your yakkas, just pray a king doesn't nail your bait jig. Know what you mean about Roseville, I got back there today(12.30-1pm) after hitting the FAD's and being on the water for over 10hours with a mate and I was cursing straight away!!! :chair:

Dan

Guest 4myson

Well done on taking your daughter out for a fish , it's good to be reminded every now & then How much our kids get a kick out of fishing no matter what size fish they cacth . Sometimes I wish us Grownups where that easy to please .....

Mr Edgy - I was also there and had to wait a while. The reason - according to Maritime services officer was due to a Ford F350 and boat / trailer that ended up completely submerged in the double side of the ramp. This required a tow truck and quite a bit of time to remove it, thus the build up. We headed out early and got back to the ramp about 1.15pm and waited about an hour to get access. Maritmie were there for quite a while to help with impatient boaties.