E10 Ethanol And Fuel Prices

Grantm

With the fuel price going throught the roof there is talk of having all fuel blended with ethanol, better known as E10 to help reduce the cost of fuel at the bowser. E10 is simply a 10 % mix of ethanol into fuel.

I have regularly used blended fuel in my car for years and have never had a drama. It is however not recommended in boats because if a certain amount of water gets in the tank, the ethanol will draw that water to it and seperate the fuels, which in a 10 % blend can be a problem causing layers if enough water gets in. Very small amounts of ethanol around say quater of a cup strangly enough can be quite usefull in a tank actually removing water from fuel slowly enough to not cause a problem and eventually removing all water. :wacko: BTW this is only my understanding but this has been the case in my experience anyway.

The thing is this : What will happen to our boats if this is the only fuel available ? Will we be stuck using fuel not recommended for boats ?

No 2. The blended fuel I currently buy is just as, if not more, expensive at times as regular fuel anyway. Why is current stock of blended fuel with a 10 % mix not cheaper now ?

I know ethanol is a big resourse in our country and readily available as it comes from sugercane.

Whats going on ? anyone know

Whats going on ? anyone know

68342[/snapback]

I would have thought that you would have had some answers for us Grant. :wacko:

I think one or two of the members in QLD are involved with the petroleum industry. Perhaps they can shed some light!

I would have thought that you would have had some answers for us Grant. :wacko:

:1prop: Yeah you'd think so :074: Im just as confused as everyone else with where this will go. Pity I couldnt go to the round table summit. :1prop:

Whats even funnier ( or not ) is that I recently sold - lets just say quite a few - shares in an ethanol producing company. I can tell you im regretting that now at their current price :ranting2: