Tuncurry dissapointing

yting

Hi there,

Not much to report after a few days of windy weather with the family up at Tuncurry/Forster over Easter.

The main reason for this report is to warn people about "Red Weed". If anyone has tried to fish when this is in the water you'll know what I mean. It's a complete nightmare and makes fishing almost impossible.

It catches your line and jams up in the runners of your rod. Very frustrating!

Second thing I have to report was that the river seemed pretty dead. That was until I saw the pros hauling in net loads of mullet off the beach adjacent to the river mouth. After asking one of them I learned that the mullet swim down river and out to sea around this time of year. I'm guessing netting tones of them must be legal judging by how these guys operated but I don't really get why they're catching all these mullet and who's buying them. Bit of a mystery really. I can't help but wonder what the by catch must be as a result of this netting. Still I supose some one smarter than me has considered this.

I saw beach netters doing the same thing at Shoal Bay and Fingal. They dragged the nets in with winches and caught many hundreds of tonnes of sea run mullet. I asked what the fish were used for and was told, pet food and fertiliser. I asked again at the Nelson Bay Co-Op where the fish were being unloaded and was told the same thing. A very efficient exercise, where the nets took pretty well the entire schools of mullet. There were dozens of huge cooler bins, about 8ftx3ftx5ft in size along the beach, which were chockers with mullet on ice. And they hammer us if there is a fish on board which may be a cm or two undersize or if we happen to cross over the invisible boundary of a marine no go area etc. I'm in favour of bag limits etc, so my comments above, on rec fishos, are merely observations.

Guys, there up here same time year after year. Probably the best time to target jew from the beach as they follow the schools. However, I have noticed that the bay seems pretty quiet when the netters are about! Hmmmm

Cheers scratchie!!!

A good time too to target huge bream of the beach. I'm talking 50+cm.

North end of one mile, the mullet seem to hang there a while.

The bream and flatties hang out under. Cleaning up the the scraps.

Like every kind of migration in the animal world, they don't all make it.

The other fish know it too.

Spent some time up at Bluey's Beach this time of year 12 months ago. I watched a chap bag out on blackfish of the rocks on the southern end of Bluey's beach nearly every day for a week.

This chap was nearly 80 years old and my wife banned me from fishing with him as I had left my rock fishing shoes with cleats at home.

He said to the right of the gutter he fishes was a good bream hole, where when cleaning his fish he often jags half a dozen bream on blackfish gut.

I was at Forster for Easter and encountered the red weed. It does make it really frustrating. I managed to get two really good flathead off the boardwalk and one good bream from the breakwall. I think i needed a bit of local knowledge when it came to the breakwall as i was unsure how to fish it with such a strong current

I was up at Forster the week after the Pirtek Challenge. Took the yak out on to Wallis Lake for more of a recon mission to get my bearings than anything. Those oyster leases around Godwin Is. have you on your toes navigating the area, as the terrain looks a whole lot different at water level compared to Google Maps. Flicked lures as I travelled south along the Little St. shoreline, then drifted back to the ramp on the run out tide on the western side of Godwin. No strikes, but I definitely felt a few bumps fron interested fish. But I think I'll have a more serious do next time.

However, One Mile Beach was a different story. I started with swuid for bait and picked up an occasional dart. But then I found the pipis and bagged a couple of nice whiting one morning, along with heaps of dart, which were all released. The whiting were eaten, but I think I'll release them in the future. OK tasting fish but too boney for my liking. Of an evening, my wife and I watched schools of fish (mackeral or mullet perhaps) forming and swimming off the beach. Another evening we watched a pod of dolphins swimming south.

The place was so good on a number of levels, that I'm thinking of retiring up there in the not too distant future. I could do worse.

I was at Forster for Easter and encountered the red weed. It does make it really frustrating. I managed to get two really good flathead off the boardwalk and one good bream from the breakwall. I think i needed a bit of local knowledge when it came to the breakwall as i was unsure how to fish it with such a strong current

Yes I too was interested on how people were fishing that break wall. What was confusing me though was how the current was always running out to sea the whole time I was there. I would have thought it would change directions on the run in. It's got me stumped.

You'd just about have to be Usain Bolt to try and keep up with your line if you wanted to chase along the break wall with it.

Yeah the tide takes some working out. The top of the water can be running in one direction, whilst the bottom can be going in the opposite direction. Ideal time for fishing the breakwall can be a couple of hours after the published high or low tide, before the top of the water column comes to a standstill.

I lost heaps big SP lures (fishing for jewies) on the rocks before I started to work out what to do. The tackle shops love newcomers like me, but no discounts LOL.

NATS, the tide runs both ways, in and out. Depending where you fish, there is sometimes almost no top, or bottom to the tide, it changes that quickly.

Guys, there up here same time year after year. Probably the best time to target jew from the beach as they follow the schools. However, I have noticed that the bay seems pretty quiet when the netters are about! Hmmmm

Cheers scratchie!!!

They are down at Patonga on the Central Coast at the moment smashing the Mullet run.According to locals the Jews have come on on the beaches.