Catching Pilchards Around Sydney

FishingGuy

Hey Raiders,

I was wondering if anyone knows where to catch Pilchards in or around Sydney. Would be interested to know if you can an I am willing to travel a bit to catch them. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Cheers,

FishingGuy

Yep, they come in and out of most of the clean water harbors/estuaries at different times of the year. Not like there is a single "spot" to look for them as the shoals move around a fair bit. On the Hacking we often see then at first light or sunset breaking the surface around many of the deeper bays. Off deer park is often one of the better places. Generally they are more common in Summer but this can vary.. If you find them berley with mushed up bread to keep them around the boat and fish for them with a sabiki jig and you can get a lot in a hurry. If you plan to eat them you need to get them straight on ice as they can go off crazy quick.

R

Edited by Mr Squidy

Guest 4myson

Interesting - sure they make a gun live bait? Or don't last well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't stay alive for long once caught , as we were dropping them in the live well they'd shake all their scales off & slowly die within minutes !