Squiding

pbk1776

Hi All

I've been trying to catch a squid for months now (learning still) but never caught one yet.

I've been watching videos on how to do it and scanning the internet the best places to do it.

Got about a dozen jigs - the closest I caught was a tentacle

any tips? or do I need to buy another jigs?

BR

Raf

So much depends on where you are fishing as night time off a wharf is completely different to daytime over shallow weed beds which is completely different to over deeper reefs etc etc. Best way to learn is find the local night time "hotspot" with lights on a wharf with good clean water. These areas attract squid fisherman just as well as they attract squid. Head down and watch what the locals do and copy it the best you can. Most guys are pretty happy to chat techniques in places like that. It will probably take you a few trips to get it mastered but once you do you should be fine. You are much better sticking to one location/style to start until you are comfortable with it, then you can start to expand your skill set to other areas with a bit more confidence in what you are doing.

R

Edited by Mr Squidy

PBK

Sounds like youre just having bad luck mate, I fish with my cousin who pulls flattie after flattie with SPs but is convinced he cant jig a squid.

I am the exact opposite.

Just keep at it, I pulled my first at Rosebay, just try and align yourself with a street light and weed beds as both attract them.

Another spot is the board walk at Balmoral, fish inside the netted area. Ive pulled 20 + in a night.

As we head into the cooler months you can try a safe rock spot with a decent drop off as they move into deeper (warmer) water in winter, keep trying champ youll be onto a few green eyes soon. Please ensure you never rock fish alone though, Id hate anyone getting hurt or worse from my advice.

Happy to join you myself if the moons and leave passes align.

Technique is about as important as location. Squid are fairly mobile so you can go back to the same spot the next day and get nothing. If you don't get any in an area then try a change of colour and/or size and if that doesn't work then shift locations slightly. 15 minutes could be all the difference between getting some and thinking they are not around. Fish areas with weed and sand patches and maybe a little bit of structure. It will be the sort of area bait fish will congregate. If you are at a jetty look for the tell tale black ink marks indicating people have caught them there before.

My go to is a Yamashita 2.2 in pink and white on a 4lb braid bream finesse style outfit with 8lb fluoro leader. I have one in a natural colour but in general I prefer jigs that stand out a bit. Will go up to a size 2.5 on that same gear. I look for weed and sand and then work the edges of the weed. I have slow sinking to fast sinking jigs (There is a Yamashita range with three different coloured eyes relating to three different sinking speed (blue - slow, black - standard and pink - fast). The standard or fast sinking I use to cover distance and drop offs and the slow I use to work over the weed beds. I use three types of retrieves. A slow lift and then a pause to let it get down to the bottom. A double flick and pause to let it get down to the bottom. A short triple flick which imparts a darting motion to the jig and then pause to let it slowly settle. If I am over weed beds I count down so that I still stay just above the weed.

Squid swim quickly but can be a little hesitant to hold on to a jig so if the jig is being pulled away I use a 30cm (rod tip travel) flick to set the jig and then let the natural flex of the rod absorb the shock.

If I am in a snaggy area I use my larger snapper rod with 10 to 14lb braid and 20lb to 30lb leader as I can pull the lure clear of the snags. I will usually use a size 3 or 3.5 for the extra casting distance too.

A smaller lure is more likely to get picked on and the 2.2 is the best compromise I have found between size and casting distance. Most jigs drop at about 3 seconds per meter. So if the water is 10m deep then count down to at least 30 seconds and maybe a little more to be sure. After each lift count down for at least 4 seconds to make sure it reaches the bottom.

Fan your casts out in an area. If you don't get anything change size and/or colour and do it again. If you don't get anything then they are either not there or not playing = same end result so change locations and then try again. If I am fishing from a boat I will cast towards the shore and then more or less bounce it down (without snagging up) and away from the drop at the shore edge. Put the time in as catching them will get easier. I have glow in the dark ones I hit with a torch which are easier for the squid to spot at dawn and dusk.

Once you have some squid if you plan to use them as bait you can put them down as whole baits but I prefer to strip them. Run your hand behind the upper side of the head and into the hood and break the join with your finger. Pull the head out. Either a whole bait or cut in half lengthwise for two baits. The two wings can be separated from the body by working the join with your fingernails. Minimum of two baits there but I slice them in strips to get more. Find the feather inside the top of the hood and pinch out with fingernails and throw away. I run a knife along where it was and open the whole hood out so I can cut long strips. If you want to keep squid for eating they are prepared more or less the same way but you don't open up the hood and you clean the inside and outside of the hood. If you want to keep them for fishing buy a packet of sandwich sized ziplock bags and drop them in there and do not wash them in freshwater. Freeze them in the bag for your next fishing outing. I find they keep quite well and I can also use them whole when chasing jewfish.

If I catch a Southern Calamari I work the area where I hooked up as I find they travel in 2s and 3s of a similar size. If I catch an arrow squid then I keep trying till it feels futile as I have picked up to 9 in a group.

Have fun and I'd like to hear a report when it starts to come together.

Edited by DerekD

Not familiar with the George's but camp cove on the Eastern side little jetty there is almost guaranteed to snag a few. Last hour of the run up tide I've found best with a very slow sinking 1.5 bright pink yozuri - just because the jig is small, doesn't mean you won't pull in some decent sized squid. And as mentioned - as soon as you get one - chuck your jig straight back and normally another couple will be lurking around. As much success as I've had with the cheapies, the yamashitas/yo-zuris/gancraft will make a big difference. Literally can cast it out and just as it sinking you can hook up. Clean water, sand, rocks and weed beds are vital! Best of luck mate. If keeping for bait - straight into a ziplock bag with a touch of salt water from where you caught it and it will keep fresh for yonks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk