4/5 afternoon landbased on cooks river

michael2203

Heya Raiders,

So, this afternoon began with that most epic of struggles...to nap or go fishing. Given the weather it looked like a nap was on the cards, but with the kids driving me insane i decided to head out. Given some of the recent reports re the cooks I thought I'd give it a crack. After dealing with the traffic and car parking I found a nice little spot near Tempe.

After 1/2 an hour of nibbles but no real action, I moved spot 20-30m up the bank. I dunno what made me pick this spot, but we will call it the 'vibe'. Little did I know.

1st cast in the new spot and I'm on. Straight away it feels like a good fish. A short time later and I have a 24cm bream (1st photo).

2nd cast and I'm on again. Another 24-25cm bream! I could do this all day (2nd photo).

That's when it got strange. 3rd cast and I'm on. This time though, instead of heading for the bottom this thing goes straight up, out of the water and spits my hook out for me to see. Cheeky bugger! It kinda looked like a bream but didn't behave like it. Anyone got any idea's?

Anyway, all up I landed 4 bream all about 24-25cm (3rd and 4th photo). The last fish was hooked on that famous 'last cast'.

All up it was an awesome way to spend the arvo. In addition to the fish, there were a number of very attractive young ladies walking and jogging past which just added to the experience (sorry, no photo's, but I will try next time).

Cheers

Hodgopost-35567-0-74195200-1429353517_thumb.jpgpost-35567-0-08173700-1429353558_thumb.jpgpost-35567-0-97912600-1429353592_thumb.jpgpost-35567-0-28526600-1429353624_thumb.jpg

I worked at St Peters a few years back. Sometimes when the tide was right i would stop for an hour to have a fish. I would park in the Germam club opposite Tempe station. It was some sort of croquet club. Car park was right next to the river just walk through the wire gate. Is the club still there? Very easy parking if nothing much has changed

I worked at St Peters a few years back. Sometimes when the tide was right i would stop for an hour to have a fish. I would park in the Germam club opposite Tempe station. It was some sort of croquet club. Car park was right next to the river just walk through the wire gate. Is the club still there? Very easy parking if nothing much has changed

That's exactly where I was. And no, nothing has changed.

Thanks. I was using chicken as bait.

Snap! Did you have it unweighted so it was drifting in to the edges? I remember that's how I got mine at the time- bream were going daft for chicken mixed with a bit of garlic.

Snap! Did you have it unweighted so it was drifting in to the edges? I remember that's how I got mine at the time- bream were going daft for chicken mixed with a bit of garlic.

No, was using a traditional set up -sinker, swivel and hook. I was casting out about 3/4 across and letting the tide drift the bait along. I have been using garlic, but today just went plain. Seemed to work better then garlic.

Very nice mate :) gotta love a cheeky arvo session. Thats about standard cooks size bream and you're right you can do it all day!

Just never eat anything haha

Keep it up!

Cheers Witha. Fish and I don't agree at the best of times (eating) so I always go for catch n release or give to someone who will appreciate it.

Cheers Witha. Fish and I don't agree at the best of times (eating) so I always go for catch n release or give to someone who will appreciate it.

Haha all good mate. Cooks is pretty toxic!

Let me know if you're heading down again might have a chance to meet up

I use to trade a few bream for a schooner with the barman. He had nothing better to do so brought me out a schooner.

He was amazed I used no sinker. Blood worms dug further up were the prime bait. Often caught a massive eel or two around there.

Actually it was a can of Coke he traded. One day nearly mistaken a snake for an eel that took a liking to my bait.