Beach spinning!

Camo1808

So i have been doing some reading on beach spinning metal slugs and i am very very interested. This sounds super exciting and am wanting to give it a crack.

I went out and bought myself a rovex revenge spin combo and will be setting this up for casting slugs.

Can anybody help with any info or tips in regards to beach spinning.

Times tides locations. Types of lure etc.

I am central coast based and really wanting to give this a good crack. Cheers

Use light braid or very light mono to get a solid cast. Any metal works, they're all the same in theory, just get them moving and the fish will chase then. Speed is key. You're likely to hook salmon and tailor more than anything else, and the buggers jump and throw hooks like no tomorrow. Switch to a single large eye hooks (you might have to search for these) and/assist hooks as these are harder for the fish to tgrow. I like the top of the tide but the important thing is find some nice structure. I like to find a bloody long beach and just walk until I find a gutter holding fish. Not always successful, but nice to stroll along watching the world. Goodluck

Yeah thats what im most looking forward to is just strolling the beach carrying a rod and back pack just throwing lures around. Ok so ill be fishing braid would you say around 10-15kilo? Ajd thanks heaps for your advice.

I used to run heavy line and just down the drag whilst spinning, but it does hurt your casting. So if you're gear is for spinning specifically, down size the line. Im running 6lb and it is great fun. More than enough power for nice salmon around 70cm.

Yer easy. As long as you've got some line capacity to let them run, but that shouldnt be a problem. I use about 2 rod lengths of 20lb mono for leader. Doesn't matter if it is fluro in my opinion. Its moving so damn fast what fish is going to notice

Dont forget to take some medium sized plastics as well, surprising how many big Dusky Flathead can be caught spinning the gutters on beaches especially near a river or estuary mouth. Had some good success with 4" Berkley Rippleshads and 100mm Squidgie Fish or Whip Baits doing this, Salmon and Tailor love 'em as well. One tactic I find helps when running plastics in the surf is to use a Rev head jig head, one that has a small celta style blade on it.

I tend to stick with 6lb braid and 10-12lb leaders and haven't had an issue landing any fish yet, although I am yet to hook a Jewfish in the surf on this gear and I may be a bit under-gunned!

Cheers

Windy

I've been thinking the same thing with the salmon hopefully turning up in winter.

Lure weight will depend on what the casting range is on your rod. Last thing you want is to snap your rod tip cos you overloaded it.

I was thinking of picking up a daiwa seabass or seajigger to chuck some metals and light bait fishing. Getting tired of lugging a heavy rod with a massive reel around.

Heya krause, it depends on how big the surf is, if there is a rip and how close the gutter or hole is. I tend to start with a 3/8oz head (normally a Nitro Bullet) and judge from there. The heaviest I go to is about 1/2oz, if I need to go heavier I start to question if its worth my time. I have gone down to a 1/8oz in flat conditions and a close in gutter, this was very effective as the plastic washed around realistically and the Flatties loved it but its a bit light normally. Its amazing how far you can cast a 1/8oz on surf spinning tackle too!

As for action, the good 'ol standard douple whip/hop is normally good. But dead sticking the plastic for an extended time has been effective as the wave action will get the in-built action on the plastics going, the only Bream I have caught on plastic in the surf came this way. Salmon and Tailor respond well to a faster retrieve of course, but I have caught a couple of nice Salmon at Narrabeen double hopping.

Going to try some of the larger soft vibes likes Transams and Spanyid Sniper Vibes next, I reckon they will be a gun lure in the surf.

Hope that helps :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

Cheers. I really have to stick with it and find a rhythm. I bought a large metal vibe for the beach, but i am yet to catch using it. If im honest i haven't tried much. I like my spinners to much!

Haven't used metal vibes or blades much in the surf myself but I would think they would be great too.

I know what you mean about using metals in the beach and being tough to not use them, they are very effective and very easy. The trick I found was to not take any so I was forced to use plastics, that way i wasn't tempted to go back to casting a metal. Allowed me to concentrate on what I was doing and it worked, started to get fish and learn what worked and what didn't. I will do the same thing with the Soft Vibes when I start hitting the surf again (when this crappy weather buggers off hopefully).

Cheers

Windy

Dont forget to take some medium sized plastics as well, surprising how many big Dusky Flathead can be caught spinning the gutters on beaches especially near a river or estuary mouth. Had some good success with 4" Berkley Rippleshads and 100mm Squidgie Fish or Whip Baits doing this, Salmon and Tailor love 'em as well. One tactic I find helps when running plastics in the surf is to use a Rev head jig head, one that has a small celta style blade on it.

I tend to stick with 6lb braid and 10-12lb leaders and haven't had an issue landing any fish yet, although I am yet to hook a Jewfish in the surf on this gear and I may be a bit under-gunned!

Cheers

Windy

Awesome thanks heaps for your help. I will have to pack them in my bag haha. Do you mind if i ask where you are based. Cheers

I've been thinking the same thing with the salmon hopefully turning up in winter.

Lure weight will depend on what the casting range is on your rod. Last thing you want is to snap your rod tip cos you overloaded it.

I was thinking of picking up a daiwa seabass or seajigger to chuck some metals and light bait fishing. Getting tired of lugging a heavy rod with a massive reel around.

Yeah im looking forward to my first winter of hopefully decent fishing. Cheers

Awesome thanks heaps for your help. I will have to pack them in my bag haha. Do you mind if i ask where you are based. Cheers

Yeah im looking forward to my first winter of hopefully decent fishing. Cheers

Heya Camo, I am based in Sydney in the Inner West. Tend to do most of my beach spinning on the northern beaches like Narrabeen and Dee Why or way down on the south coast of NSW at Tathra or Tuross. Haven't really fished the beaches north of Sydney though.

Windy

Oh no dramas. Was just hoping maybe to catch uo to get a few pointers haha. So you reckon just pack a bag chuck some metals and also some sp around 100mm in my bag and line my spool with 6 or 10lb braid then maybe some 10-12lb fluro. Cheers

Hey all further to this discussion. I have finally got my set up ready to go.

Tackle is a 7ft 3-6 kilo graphite rovexrevenge rod with a daiwa revo inshore reel 4000 8 ball bearing using 6lb braid with 10lb fluro leader. Approx 2m in length. Hooked to the end a snap swivel then got a range of metals between 10gram through to 40gram.

Is this set up sufficient. Anything i should know.

Also i seen on my rod it says lure weight approx 5-8grams? Does this mean i cant use 20-30gram metals??

Cheers

I don't think you will have an issue up to 20g, they aren't really that heavy and as long as your casting action is smooth it should be ok up to 30g. 40g may be a tad heavy though.

I would start out with the lighter end of the metals you have and work up from there once you have the feel of the rod.

The only thing I would do is ditch the snap swivel and tie direct to the metal, never been a fan of snap swivels and lures. But that's just me, for now it will make it easy for you to change lures.

Cheers

Windy

Hey guys do you have any worries with air knots, I am struggling with the lighter braids when casting off the rocks and beach. I basically run about 1-1.5M of flouro at the end and connect direct to the metals. (I also learnt that the snap swivel changes the action) Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? I don't have any issues with the heavier braid 20 & 30lb with 40gram slugs up. Just the lighter 10lb with all different rods. I use power pro braid.

Hah i have the opposite! Wind/air knots occur because of slack line on the spool, and that occurs with poor line managment. Watch your slack and you should have less of an issue