Weather websites need overhaul

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

We seem to come across this topic regularly in the chat section and there are many views and different sites we all use to obtain information. Like me, many raiders seem to use 2 or 3 and average the prediction out.

Over the past two days up here, Sydney and coastal areas, we have all been coping a flogging and for me, I've been keeping my eyes firming fixed to the radar and wind patterns. I agree that this has not been a normal weather pattern nor is it easy to predict the elements as they change dramatically but on a normal everyday week, the predicted weather can be so far wrong, that after all the preparations of getting ready to go fishing you don't even leave the driveway.

So with all that said and considering the technology available in this day and age, surely they really need to overhaul their data they provide to the public? Especially considering the amount of recreational boating and water activities that we all partake in.

Here is a screen shot of willyweather wind ..............

post-24974-0-12202300-1429674680_thumb.jpg

Look at the difference between wind and gusts. Really??? This is the type of crap info they provide on a constant basis and I feel all weather sites need a good overhaul.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Guest no one

I go off the top number brah, if it says gusts of 83.3kmh I take that as the wind outside is 83.3kmh. That current speed crap is worthless. The reason being is wind isn't constant, so the second that was recorded could have been a lull in the pattern.

However I've been out too many times when the weathers been well off! You know they used to shoot weather men in Russia who got it wrong 3 times in a week?

Makes you wonder if that example is just say a point in time sample that happened to pick an abnormal lull in the wind, compared to the predicted and gust values.

But I have seen similar at other times - forecast for winds, check willyweather, says 10-13kmh - drive an hour to Narrabeen to find its more like 40km/h and for some reason the AWS at Terrey hills is not experiencing that.

I also wonder how much averaging and projecting is done now days with some apps to try and give "local" readings projected off a weather station some 10-15km away.

Scratchie,

I said this a week or so ago, Look at Bom,....MetEye

It gives you detail of what's actually happening off the coast and where off the coast, is a far better tool, than just the BOM, or Willy Weather, Seabreeze, etc..

As they are all just SUMARISING the data.

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/?ref=ftr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I tend to agree Scratchie,

Looking at the BOM's Hunter observations from the same date, at 3.00pm the wind speed was recorded at 72k with a gust at 82k. An hour before that the wind speed was 48k with a gust at 80k. Allowing for mean or even maximun speeds over a period of time either side of the hour, it makes Willyweathers screen look bad.

I only take my forecasts from the BOM. I've never found them off the mark by much. I wonder sometimes where the other sites obtain their information, because there can be big differences. Not being a boat owner, at least I don't have to worry about ocean forecasts to the extent of rolling up to find it's so bad I shouldn't launch. But I feel for you and other boat owners.