Dunbogan fishing

Brendan_G

Hey raiders,

My name is Brendan and I am from Sydney. I have been addicted to fishing for many years and finally I have found a website where I can gain some tips and tricks of the trade from all you experienced fisherman and at the same time I hope I can share some knowledge with you guys as well. Anyways now that I have introduced myself I am asking for some help. I have been going to Port Maquarie for over 12yrs and have had some luck with bream and flathead as well as the occasional flounder in the Hastings River. This year I am going up to Port Maquarie and am interested in fishing around dunbogan (Have fished there before with out any luck) and I am going to be targeting blackfish. Seen this is the first time I will be fishing for blackfish I would like some places to fish for these fish in Dunbogan/Lake Cathie. I would also like advice on the bait that should be used and as well and the rig to catch my first Blackfish!

Cheers Brendan

Haven't fish lake cathie for blackfish but the lake itself holds some cracking whiting. Have caught many there on surface poppers and prawns. The shallows behind the run out bridge are the best area to target them. If you have access to a kayak even better!

Settlement point at port has a great spot land based to catch flatty, bream and whiting especially around high tide.

Hope that helps!

Cheers scratchie!!!

I don't fish for Blackfish myself but have fished the Camden Haven a few times and have seen others fishing for them. The main spot I saw is on the north side of the inlet to Queen's lake. We fished the Camden Haven river and also that inlet and the lake itself successfully for the typical Estuary species, esp Flathead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Brendan. The lake is open at the moment and fishing really for whiting and blackfish. They usually fish for blackfish around the southern side of the bridge If they are on you'll see people there chasing them. There's generally good green weed in the lake. Take the first road right after you cross the bridge if coming from Port and follow it around until you see another bridge. The weed is all around the shoreline there (usually). The North haven break wall is also pretty reliable spot for blackfish. Half way along the wall you'll see some tidal pools behind the wall which hold green weed and you can fish for blackfish right there. You can try cabbage as well from the local rocks. I generally collect if from the northern end of South beach on the Dunbogan side. There's always plenty of cabbage there and you fish all around those rocks as well depending on the swell and the sand movement. The mouth of Googlys Lake on the eastern side also fishes well for them if you have a boat to get across. If you're in Port try the breakwall . It can be one of the best blackfish spots up there. Cheers