Wollongong Night Session

Tulz

Decided to check the beaches yesterday to see what state they were in after last weeks weather. I found a stretch of sand with a nice big gutter running parallel to the beach and with little variation in the tides decided to wet a line after dark. Plan was to fish the last 2 hours of the run out and the first hour of the run in. First baits were soaking by 7.30pm, I had 2 rods with frozen but recently caught squid intended for Jew and and a lighter outfit with pillies with the aim of beaching a Tailor for slab baits.

It wasn't long before one of my larger rods goes off but it had the signs of a Stingray which it was. It was beached shortly after and upon release my other larger rod goes off and a nice Sambo of 60cm is beached.

post-22681-0-09941000-1430176957_thumb.jpg

Shortly after realease my light outfit buckles and a small flathead of 38cm is beached and I also release it.

post-22681-0-31394200-1430177282_thumb.jpg

All goes quiet until about an hour after the tide change where I lose 2 fish on my lighter outfit, one to a knot giving way and another to thrown hooks almost at my feet. They both felt like a small Tailor or Soapy. One of my larger rods get's bitten off to what I suspect to be a Shark and I land another 2 Sambo's of 60cm all within 20 minutes. With that it was time to head off but it was an eventful night.

post-22681-0-60159400-1430177720_thumb.jpgpost-22681-0-85277300-1430177741_thumb.jpg

Surprising to hear was in the area last night with krause and beaches didn't look too appealing. Corrimal had way too much weed in the wash so we went down to windang and wasnt much structure visible. Saw some fishos with 1 sambo thats about it. We also tried the windang breakwall with not much action.

Sounds like an eventful session, great job.

Which Beach was this at?

Wollongong, down towards the golf course. Where you walk through the golf course to the stretch thats actually called Coniston Beach.

Guest 4myson

Well done Tulz ! Good on ya for getting out there , can't remember the last time I went for a night beach fish ? Your getting my blood pumping .... Lately it's been a struggle to get out for a fish , every weekend has been booked with family commitments . Need to take a page out of your book & just head out one night ! Congrats again .....

Thanks Tulz, never fished that beach from that end. Always at the other end where the Port Kembla rockwalls area, behind the treatment plant.

Well done anyway, I agree with 4myson, need to just get out there more these days.

Thanks Tulz, never fished that beach from that end. Always at the other end where the Port Kembla rockwalls area, behind the treatment plant.

Well done anyway, I agree with 4myson, need to just get out there more these days.

No problem, always happy to share spots It can be quite productive there. A lot of people don't realise there is actually a small reef structure a few hundred metres off the beach there. I believe the Jewies live in and around this structure and roam the beach at night when feeding.